Sign in with
Your question

Antec 902 Gaming Rig Build/PSU Suggestions?

Last response: in Components
July 5, 2009 7:49:06 AM

I'm in the process of ordering parts for my new gaming rig build. It will be my first build. Here's the exact basics I've decided on...

Antec 902
ASUS VW246H 24" LCD @ 1920x1080
Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Intel Mobo
8GB G. Skill DDR2 1066
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition
Corsair 750TX PSU

Already have the monitor and case.

I want this entire build process to be as painless as possible so I was wondering if this case/mobo/psu would work well together cable management wise. I want to route everything around the back of the mobo tray and I don't really want to deal with getting cable extensions and what not. Would the modular version be a better choice or is there another PSU that anyone has used that works well with this case in regards to cable management? I'd really like to stick with the Corsair brand if at all possible but if it's going to be a headache I'd consider another brand.

Was hoping there wouldn't be any issues with this specific PSU. :pt1cable: 
July 5, 2009 9:19:33 AM

well for starters, your psu is overkill if you are not running sli or anything...
2. you dont need 8 gigs of ram unless you are doing a lot of video editing or something like that...

...I personally have one of those semi-modular power supplies that has all the cables coming out but you only use the extensions you need in order to actually use the cables you need, which really helps with clutter...so in my biased opinion, I would say, if you can get a modular psu, then go for one :wahoo: 
July 5, 2009 9:24:03 AM

I have the 900 case and have used the Kingwin Mach1 modular power supply. I had their 600W model that looks great in the 900 or 902, I just upgraded to their 1000w because I went to an i7 with SLI 260's. the 600 looked so good I had to stick with Kingwin for my 1000w.
Related resources
July 5, 2009 10:09:55 AM

ahslan said:
well for starters, your psu is overkill if you are not running sli or anything...
2. you dont need 8 gigs of ram unless you are doing a lot of video editing or something like that...

...I personally have one of those semi-modular power supplies that has all the cables coming out but you only use the extensions you need in order to actually use the cables you need, which really helps with clutter...so in my biased opinion, I would say, if you can get a modular psu, then go for one :wahoo: 

Yeah I know the 750 is overkill but I wanted to leave room in case I upgrade hardware in the future. I do some light video editing from time to time and I also dabble in music production as a hobby so the 8 gigs isn't a bad thing. It's not like the extra ram will hurt performance :na: 

And I know how PSU's work......I just wanna if the Corsair PSU's cables would be long enough for rerouting in that case without messing with extensions.
July 5, 2009 10:13:38 AM

prelude2250 said:
I have the 900 case and have used the Kingwin Mach1 modular power supply. I had their 600W model that looks great in the 900 or 902, I just upgraded to their 1000w because I went to an i7 with SLI 260's. the 600 looked so good I had to stick with Kingwin for my 1000w.

Did you reroute cables around the mobo tray and if so did you have any problems with cable lengths with that PSU?
July 5, 2009 11:12:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys. After a little more research, I've decided to grab the Corsair HX620 PSU.
a b ) Power supply
July 5, 2009 3:18:08 PM

raginghipp0 said:
Thanks for the help guys. After a little more research, I've decided to grab the Corsair HX620 PSU.

If you have the room in your budget, the HX750 is even better, more efficient and comes with a 7 year warranty.
July 6, 2009 3:49:54 AM

theAnimal said:
If you have the room in your budget, the HX750 is even better, more efficient and comes with a 7 year warranty.

Yeah well I changed my mind again lol. I'm going with XFX Radeon 4890 XXX overclocked cards in CrossfireX (and then add the awesome Akasa Vortexx Neo coolers on them - ) since this board doesn't support SLI. So I've decided to go with the Corsair 850HX instead of the 750HX. I could probably get by with the 750 but oh well.
July 6, 2009 3:52:25 AM

theAnimal said:

Yeah but I changed my mind again. I'm going with XFX Radeon HD4890 XXX overclocked cards in CrossfireX, so I'm going to pick up the Corsair 850HX instead of the 750.

Then I'm gonna throw some Akasa Vortexx Neo coolers on those bad boys!

July 6, 2009 3:54:17 AM

theAnimal said:

Yeah but I changed my mind again lol. I'm going with XFX Radeon HD4890 XXX overclocked cards in CrossfireX, so I'm going to pick up the Corsair 850HX instead of the 750. Or will the 750 be plenty of juice? :heink: 

Then I'm gonna throw some Akasa Vortexx Neo coolers on those bad boys!

July 6, 2009 4:23:50 AM

OOPS! Sorry for the triple post....it kept saying that the site wasn't available when I clicked submit so I didn't know that they were actually getting posted :lol: 
!