Sign in with
Your question

3.9 want to go higher (Phenom II 965 BE)

Last response: in Overclocking
December 9, 2010 9:23:14 PM

So i have had a stable 24/7 3.9ghz OC for the last few months on my 965 BE, achieved this by simply following the sticky here for black edition CPUs. Right now i am at 1.412v and running a stable 45c on load and all the way down to 26 on idle (love my zalman cooler!). Have not touched the fsb, or north bridge. I haven't had much success with just raising the voltages to meet the x20 stability check. Any input at this point would be lovely, possibly hit the max on this chip ? I have arctic silver 5 on the chip and it is definitely past the cure time so that is not an issue, have a nice push pull configuration going with my 4 case fans and my after market zalman cooler so airflow is pretty close to if not ideal for this case.

More about : higher phenom 965

a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 11:09:58 PM

we need your specs.
m
l
December 9, 2010 11:15:09 PM

currently upped the vcore in bios to 1.482
, here is my cpuz validation

This is what i am working with right now to test out the x20 multiplier, my temps seem to be nice at around 37c on idle with this voltage. I had mass effect 2 running in the background when i did this validation so temps were around 40+.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 1:52:08 AM

sockpirate said:
currently upped the vcore in bios to 1.482
, here is my cpuz validation
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1527288.png

This is what i am working with right now to test out the x20 multiplier, my temps seem to be nice at around 37c on idle with this voltage. I had mass effect 2 running in the background when i did this validation so temps were around 40+.

the reason i ask for specs was your PSU,you also running DDR2,try vcore at 1.5 and run prime95 and watch your temps.
m
l
December 10, 2010 1:56:04 AM

from what i have read the vcore limit is around 1.5v , if temps are fine is it okay to go above this ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:16:32 AM

yep i thing is 1.55 use HWmonitor for the temps,you may be limited by memory at this point
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:16:35 AM

increase multiplier 21 get 4ghz + increase Vcore little !
increase again up up up ...
always keep temp under 60C !
m
l
December 10, 2010 2:31:58 AM

Yeah when i built this machine i overlooked the ddr2 only on the board...oh well i will be replacing the board and memory in January. Temps are well below 60c, haven't ran in prime95 yet, i use the games i play the most to judge the stability before i stress test. So far haven't ran into problems on games like mass effect 2, or black ops. I think i may have found a stable OC. Here's hoping.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:39:23 AM

sockpirate said:
Yeah when i built this machine i overlooked the ddr2 only on the board...oh well i will be replacing the board and memory in January. Temps are well below 60c, haven't ran in prime95 yet, i use the games i play the most to judge the stability before i stress test. So far haven't ran into problems on games like mass effect 2, or black ops. I think i may have found a stable OC. Here's hoping.

Yep
I'm holding out to for 2~3 months until the new chips come out 3.7~3.9 is still nice clock ;)  I would recommend prime95 for minimum 2 hours to make sure is stable
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:42:10 AM

if not stable drop your multiplier ! test with your game play full time, if no error / trouble your OC Stable !
in the next time u must test with prime95/IBT/OCCT
m
l
December 11, 2010 4:47:26 AM

I set the vcore to 1.502 and definitely think i have reached a stable x20 multiplier !
Have been playing games like final fantasy 14 , and call of duty black ops for hours and have had no system restarts, crashes, or freezes i can probably try testing it out with OCCT now, but to be honest, even if i don't get good results with OCCT im staying here at these settings. I have dual monitors so i can monitor my temps in real time and with any of my games i have not even breached 50c!!

On other notes i feel very amateur...i was walking my friend through some stuff over the phone using my bios (we have the same bios) and noticed my ram timings were not at the recommended timings for my ram...at least i caught this ! I must have not saved the timings in the past when i thought i did.

All in all i am very pleased with the OC of 4.0GHZ, it is a pretty noticeable difference, i didn't believe people when they said these chips fly at 4.0 and they really do. Thank you all for your quick responses and i will post some updates on how i did in OCCT.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 12:58:41 PM

@sockpirate

Quote:
noticed my ram timings were not at the recommended timings for my ram...at least i caught this !

Good catch on the memory timings, that's possibly why it took so much Vcore to reach the 20X multiplier stable.

However;

Your 20X multiplier 4.0G clock looks good, if you are running a 64bit OP/SYS with the voltage it took you to get the 20X multiplier stable, that's probably as far as you'll get with the 965.

Good Job Man! Ryan
m
l
December 12, 2010 3:47:07 AM

My goal was 4.0 , only air cooling here, i dont think it would be wise to go higher for a 24/7 OC on air. My next build may possibly go with liquid cool so 4.0 + clocks may be a regular thing! Kinda excited with my results though! I tweaked it a bit more and did some testing, the 4.0 runs smooth at 1.482 and 1.502 at the 20x 4.0 clock, probably will stick with the lower vcore when i use this OC just to keep temps down a bit. I noticed with the 1.502 vcore temps would get around 55c and idle was about 39-40c a bit high for an idle.
m
l
!