Copper cold plate

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Okay, I have a simple question. I bought a TEC which I proceed to blow up in about 5 seconds flat. But I also bought a copper cold plate with it. I have since decided to just focus on liquid cooling the processor. If I were to put this copper slab between the processor and the waterblock, am I going to get better or worse performance?

Thanks!

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Um... no. The TEC was $30. You'd get a terrible PSU for that. And I just upgraded my PSU to the XFX 850w silver certified. The "cold plate" is just a copper plate about 3/8" thick. I just wanted to know if that would draw off more heat than the waterblock alone.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
i know how much it is 30$ here 30 here..you get the idea in your sig. is 630W any way pelts have been ok 5~6 years ago ,with todays overcloked CPU generating 350+watt heatload you would need 600W pelt add both numbers and you get the idea how much you have to cool I provided you with the link that should explain most of your questions

"A cold plate is used because current flow through the pelt is not consistent. Spikes and dips in current flow (and therefore temperatures) could be damaging to the CPU. The cold plate smooths out these spikes and dips, keeping cooling consistent"

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most people don't run TEC's anymore...they either run straight water or go deep and run a compressor system. If you know what you are doing, you can convert a window A/C unit to run or even a small fridge to use. TEC's were a decent idea when components were hot, and watercooling was simply used to cool the TEC unit that was in turn, cooling the CPU.

However, people were finding that even though their CPU was sub-ambient and cold, the TEC was in turn, generating more heat to be dissipated by the water loop than the actual CPU was putting out. Plus, like you mentioned, TEC's are rough on normal PSU's and are often better off with a dedicated power source.