Your question

Windows 7 upgrade

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 29, 2010 12:54:08 AM

I am thining aboutr asking for a win. 7 upgrade for Christmas I need to know if you need a specific OS to upgrade from. I have win. xp sp3 and would like to upgrade. Can I upgrade from win. xp to win. 7?

More about : windows upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
a c 363 G Storage
October 29, 2010 2:10:04 AM

You cannot "upgrade" from ANY version of Win XP to Win 7 in the "common" sense. Many people think "upgrade" means that you run the software on the Install CD and it all does everything for you, replacing the old OS with the new one and keeping all your applications and files exactly where they were so you can just run as usual, only better. That is NOT how the upgrade from XP to Win 7 goes.

Basically, what you actually have to do is install Win 7 as a whole new fresh install. That means actually re-installing all your main applications software after installing Win 7, setting up the folders and default options on them, then copying all your data files. In other words, you MUST have a good backup of your old files before starting. Now, Microsoft does have a handy migration tool to help. You install it and run it on your old system first, and it helps you make the backup copies of all your old stuff. Then you run it again after the new OS is running and you have re-installed your applicat6ions software. It will really help to put your data files into place ready to use.

Go to the Microsoft website and read their info on how to do all this, and how to get and use their helpful tools. This upgrade will not be a simple run-it-and-forget-it thing, but the tools and info will make it a LOT smoother than trying to do a complete fresh install with no background knowledge.
m
l
October 29, 2010 3:00:39 AM

I can upgrade from win. xp though right?
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 29, 2010 3:22:33 AM

You can buy the upgrade version and use it to replace an XP system - that's perfectly legal and in keeping with the license terms.

However the upgrade version won't be able to actually "upgrade" XP - you'll have to perform a clean install of Windows 7 into the existing XP disk. None of your old programs will be usable after the install, you'll have to reinstall each one after completing the Windows 7 install. Be sure you have the license keys and install media for all your programs.
m
l
October 29, 2010 5:19:32 AM

So basicaly I should just get the regular win. 7 and not an upgrade and install that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
October 29, 2010 4:34:11 PM

The upgrade version is normally cheaper. Both will do the same thing. You qualify for the upgrade so I would go with the upgrade, unless you like spending the extra bucks. With either version you will have to re-install ALL of your programs as both sminlal and Paperdoc said.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 29, 2010 4:34:24 PM

If you're not going to be using XP anymore then it will be cheaper to buy the upgrade, and the end result will be exactly the same as if you buy the full version. In either case, you need to perform a complete install of Windows 7 and all of your applications.

There are only two things the regular version gives you that the upgrade doesn't:

1) Your old XP system will still be licensed for use if you buy the full version of Windows 7.

2) The full version of Windows 7 will allow you to install it onto a clean system with no previous OS installed. BUT even though the upgrade makes it a little tricky, you can do this with that version too, see: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_...

So the long and short of it is that if you're going to replace XP then it makes the most sense to buy the upgrade version.

m
l
October 29, 2010 5:06:23 PM

So with the upgrade I UNINSTALL win. xp and then put a full install of win 7 upgrade? if thats all it is then well thats easy. Is there any particular upgrade that I need to buy, or is anyone fine?
m
l
October 29, 2010 5:23:35 PM

Be careful if you buy an upgrade.

I bought a Win 7 professional upgrade or something along those lines and it wouldn't let me upgrade from anything I had or use the key, I think it was only for a windows 7 home/home premium-->professional upgrade or something so I ended up having to buy it again.

If a price is too good to be true it is :( 
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 29, 2010 7:40:39 PM

Buy the upgrade that's appropriate for the XP edition you have: XP Professional -> Windows 7 Professional, for example.

You don't HAVE to uninstall XP. If you tell the upgrade disk to install into an XP partition then it will rename the existing windows folder to "Windows.Old" and create a new "Windows" folder to hold Windows 7. The disadvantage of this is that you'll still have all of the old XP system files and they can be difficult to get rid of.

Alternatively, you CAN reformat the drive during the install process if you want to. The upgrade checks for a previous OS, then it gives you a choice of where to install Windows. If you click the "Advanced" option at that stage you'll get the choice to delete / create partitions and format them - at that point you could delete the old XP partition and create a new, empty partition in its place and select it as the target for the Windows installation. Of course if you do that then all the data in the deleted partition will be gone - make sure you've taken a copy of any data you want to keep before deleting any partitions.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 30, 2010 11:58:31 AM

will14 said:
Be careful if you buy an upgrade.

I bought a Win 7 professional upgrade or something along those lines ...

You bought a Windows Live upgrade which is good for only upgrading Home Premium to Pro. The directions on the box told you that.
m
l
October 31, 2010 12:12:54 AM

I have windows xp pro sp3. To upgrade I would buy windows 7 pro upgrade, right?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 31, 2010 12:17:42 AM

Right, bearing in mind (as mentioned above) that it's only an "upgrade" in license terms and a full install will still be required.
m
l
October 31, 2010 3:26:16 AM

Just to get this straight I need to, a) buy a win. 7 Pro upgrade, b) fully install win. 7 pro upgrade. and then I have a win 7 pro?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 31, 2010 5:06:02 PM

You've got it!
m
l
October 31, 2010 8:42:36 PM

SWEET! I'm asking for it for Christmas then! =D
m
l
November 26, 2010 7:23:29 PM

One small thing that may help you out:

If you want to keep all your file settings from XP, go to the MS web site and download the win7 easy transfer utility. This allows you to back up your documents and settings, favorites, etc. to an external drive or a network drive. When your win7 pro upgrade is done, you can import them back into the system. It will also give you a handy report of all the things that did not transfer over so you have a punch list of the things you need to reinstall.

m
l
November 27, 2010 3:18:02 AM

lysinger said:
One small thing that may help you out:

If you want to keep all your file settings from XP, go to the MS web site and download the win7 easy transfer utility. This allows you to back up your documents and settings, favorites, etc. to an external drive or a network drive. When your win7 pro upgrade is done, you can import them back into the system. It will also give you a handy report of all the things that did not transfer over so you have a punch list of the things you need to reinstall.

MS or MSI website?
m
l
November 27, 2010 4:30:15 PM

HostileDonut said:
MS or MSI website?

Sorry for not being clearer, Microsoft.
m
l
November 27, 2010 6:09:11 PM

Thank you, lol I should have known. My dad use to work there. :lol: 
m