Sapphire's ATI Radeon HD 4890 TOXIC with Vapor-X?

lasoski311

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12877&Itemid=34

Sapphire will go Toxic with HD 4890
Written by Slobodan Simic
Monday, 30 March 2009 09:00

Two weeks after the official launch

We are positive that many ATI AIB partners will launch their reference and factory overclocked HD 4890 cards. We know that Asus has its TOP version ready, and that Sapphire, XFX and HIS are also going to do factory overclocked cards.

As you already know, HD 4890 will launch in two versions, overclocked and reference version, but we are pretty sure that both of these versions will use a reference cooler. Non-reference versions will come two weeks after the launch and we know that Sapphire is working on a Vapor-X Toxic version.

These cards will be more expensive than the regular HD 4890's but we believe that Sapphire's Toxic HD 4890 with Vapor-X will be at least cooler, if not even faster. We still don't have a picture of the card but we managed to score a picture of the box.

sapphire_hd4890toxic_1.jpg

=========================================================

I know this is an old article but, it says that it would be released two weeks after the official launch and as far as i know they are still not available. Does anyone have any updated information on this?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
From what I have heard over from teh mods at the sapphire site teh toxic version is not going to be released until "mid life" of the card..

Of course that is open to interpretation but I got the impression they don't expect it to hit shelves until the summer.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
It depends, it wont be any faster if you overclock anyway. But it will probably be clocked between 900 and 950.

The key feature is how quiet the cooler is, but really.. the stock 4890 cooler is pretty damn quiet at 30-40%, which is high enough to cool my OC'd cards.

However, the 4870 vaporX has a REALLY stupid output configuration IMO with only one DVI port, it has hdmi as well but im not sure if that is a primary output and not an alternative to teh DVI as it also has a Dsub. (only know from some complaints here and there and pictures.)

jzsang

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
The lack of a release for this card is rather annoying, as I've been waiting for this one as well. I don't necessary need to upgrade right now, but if this card is fast enough and "cool" enough, I might not be able to wait for the HD 5870 or GTX 380.

Regarding the card's alleged output (one VGA, one DVI and one HDMI)...I can see where some individuals might be saddened. If you have two DVI monitors, a graphics card with one raw DVI output is not the greatest thing in the world. However, as someone who doesn't like dongles and has an HDMI monitor, the card's layout is welcoming.