• PCI
  • Fan
  • RAM
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2009 3:44:28 PM

I'm in the market to upgrade my video card. I'm looking at the H.I.S 4830
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...
my concern is if it will fit I have the fic k2bc51g9 motherboard
http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/AMD/ficimages...
The videocards fan will point up facing the ram slots away fro the pci slots. Should the card fit or do I need to look for another videocard? thanks

More about : video card fit

April 22, 2009 10:45:43 PM

anybody?
April 22, 2009 10:58:27 PM

Are you saying you allready have that motherboard? It looks like nothing on the board will get in the way but it might depend more on the case? what form factor is that board anyway?
Related resources
April 22, 2009 10:59:50 PM

Is that and agp slot or pci express?
April 22, 2009 11:07:01 PM

DiscoDuck said:

it's pci express and microBTX form. It's the motherboard that came with my Gateway gt5228. My main concern is the black square just above the pci express slot that the fan might hit that.
April 23, 2009 3:54:47 AM

DiscoDuck said:

turns out the pic for the motherboard is wrong. here is the correct pic sorry couldn't find a bigger pic
http://www.partstore.com/Part/Gateway/Gateway/4006147R/... see the black square sticking up just below the pci express slot. that is what I thinking the fan to the his 4830 will hit.
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2009 5:49:34 AM

Have you called Gateway and asked them? They're very familiar with their own hardware, and have the most experience with it. Someone there should know if video cards over a certain length would interfere.
April 23, 2009 12:19:12 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Have you called Gateway and asked them? They're very familiar with their own hardware, and have the most experience with it. Someone there should know if video cards over a certain length would interfere.

The last time I tried talking to gateway to ask them something they were going to charge $60.
April 23, 2009 1:39:38 PM

I decided to try a videocard from another computer. Not the same depth as the his 4830 which is 1.5" but the one I tried was .75".after doing this I know that any videocard 1.5" in depth won't fit it needs to be .75". Any suggestions on a good videocard under $100?
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2009 5:11:50 AM

Hey Dragon. Sorry it took me a long time to reply... Very long day of work, and I have no internet access there.

First, it sounds as though what you're referring to is a low-profile card, but those measurements sound way off. A typical video card has a depth of 4 inches, while a low-profile card is about 2-1/2 inches. I'll link a couple comparative images for the two here and you tell me what depth looks more like what you tried:
Sapphire 4650 512MB Low Profile vs. Sapphire 4650 1GB Standard Height

Next, you said dollars, so does that mean US or Canada? I'm only familiar with North American sites, so if you're on another continent, I can't directly recommend any particular card from a certain site. In North America, odds are Newegg.com or Newegg.ca would have the best prices and selection. Sometimes they don't, though, so I can help ya shop around NA sites.

If in fact you do need a low-profile card, your selections are pretty much limited to mainstream cards, but you will have options. Figure that part out and we'll proceed.

Oh, and it would be a really good idea to include your Power Supply ratings (or make and model number) making sure to include the 12V Amperage rating. It would also help to know what resolution monitor you have or are planning to use.
April 24, 2009 1:17:28 PM

What I meant was the thickness like how far the fan sticks out. My power supply is StealthXStream OCZ600SXS with 44A combined 12V. Resolution 1280X1024. US dollars. The card I'm looking at now is the xfx 9600gso
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... as you can see the fan doesn't stick out much.
RazberyBandit said:
Hey Dragon. Sorry it took me a long time to reply... Very long day of work, and I have no internet access there.

First, it sounds as though what you're referring to is a low-profile card, but those measurements sound way off. A typical video card has a depth of 4 inches, while a low-profile card is about 2-1/2 inches. I'll link a couple comparative images for the two here and you tell me what depth looks more like what you tried:
Sapphire 4650 512MB Low Profile vs. Sapphire 4650 1GB Standard Height

Next, you said dollars, so does that mean US or Canada? I'm only familiar with North American sites, so if you're on another continent, I can't directly recommend any particular card from a certain site. In North America, odds are Newegg.com or Newegg.ca would have the best prices and selection. Sometimes they don't, though, so I can help ya shop around NA sites.

If in fact you do need a low-profile card, your selections are pretty much limited to mainstream cards, but you will have options. Figure that part out and we'll proceed.

Oh, and it would be a really good idea to include your Power Supply ratings (or make and model number) making sure to include the 12V Amperage rating. It would also help to know what resolution monitor you have or are planning to use.

!