Sign in with
Your question

Please Advise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2009 4:59:24 PM

So I am I trying to decide the best video card(s) for my setup: 24" Samsung TOC T240 for gaming at 1920 X 1200 with a 19" dell for either tv or web surfing. I will likely also be getting an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 which can support two way sli. My question is: 285 X2 or 295? I know alot of people ask this question, but I was wondering if my setup and needs made any difference. I like the option of adding another 295 down the road even thought it may be overkill, but I like high fps. A few additional questions if I may. Is this much money spent on video cards at the present time a waste with dx11 and other new cards otw? I know dual link dvi is for resolutions above mine, but I heard it can help eliminate ghosting on my monitor. Is this true? Newegg recently (like earlier today) discontinued evga's best selling 295, but there is still another one. What are the differences?

If anyone can help me to answer some of these questions I would really appreciate it. This is my first build and I want it to last. Thank you.

More about : advise

a c 187 U Graphics card
April 22, 2009 7:25:37 PM

What are the rest of your specs? Both of those soloutions are going to require a fast CPU to drive them and plenty of power.
I am not waiting excitedly for DX11. Even when it arrives, it will be a year before we see any DX11 games, and even longer before it becomes mainstream.
April 22, 2009 10:38:03 PM

The rest includes i7 920 w/ noctua cooler, asus p6t deluxe v2, corsair 850tx, 6gb ocz plats, x-fi titanium, z-5500, wd caviar black 1 tb X2, and some tv tuner, probably hauppauge 1800.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2009 2:55:33 AM

Most every card you see nowadays has dual-link DVI, so you won't have to worry about that.

I think that the 285 would suit your needs. However, if your budget allows, you may see some benefit from the 295 depending on the games you play and at what settings. Crysis at full res with AA/AF, you'll definitely see some gain from it. *drools*
April 24, 2009 1:36:15 AM

Do you think the dual link cable is worth buying, since it doesn't come with the 24" samsung?
!