Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What to Choose?Liquid or Fan?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 7:33:26 AM

Is their any difference between Liquid Cooling and Regular fan heatsinks besides noise?
Also i have a phenom ii 965BE and i've read that the max temp is around 65c even at stock everything my computer is running around 66c while playing SC2 and around 60c for Black Ops, i know SC2 is very CPU demanding but that just doesn't seem right.I have an Asetek H50 Liquid Cooling and i justt applied Arctic Silver 5 yesterday but that didn't help none :sweat:  I'm thinking it has something to do with the no-name brand H50 so what should i choose between regular heatsinks or Liquid Cooling,i'm leaning twards the Regular Fans and heatsinks because they seem to be cheaper.

More about : choose liquid fan

a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 1:16:17 PM

H50 is one of the worst performing closed loop coolers. The H70 is better as it improved the radiator, fans and not sure on the pump. H50 is prone to leaks and failures, so keep an eye on it.

For $50 or less you can get a really good air cooler that will perform as well as the H50. If you added some high CFM fans in push/pull to the radiator of the H50, you'd see some improved performance. For about $130, you can get into real, entry-level watercooling with the XSPC Rasa kit for the CPU only. Let me know what you choose and we can help get you going...either air or water.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:01:32 PM

@OP what are you using to monitor your temps ? Try HWmonitor ,if you still get the same temps..don't hesitate to get new heatsink or new cooling unit ,your temperature is way out of wak

EDIT; if you could provide screen shot of HWmonitor ,that would be great
Score
0
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:08:40 PM

Yeah, curious to know what idle temps are as well...even ambient...maybe he lives in the boiler room of a steam ship?
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:15:51 PM

rubix_1011 said:
H50 is one of the worst performing closed loop coolers. The H70 is better as it improved the radiator, fans and not sure on the pump. H50 is prone to leaks and failures, so keep an eye on it.

For $50 or less you can get a really good air cooler that will perform as well as the H50. If you added some high CFM fans in push/pull to the radiator of the H50, you'd see some improved performance. For about $130, you can get into real, entry-level watercooling with the XSPC Rasa kit for the CPU only. Let me know what you choose and we can help get you going...either air or water.




what ever you do...listen to rubix!!! :D 

i have him to thank alone for pointing me to the proper threads and stuff to read :D  just waiting for more tubing and fittings to fire it up rubix :ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  :o 
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:27:05 PM

^Thanks for the kind words, I just try to help...I don't claim to know everything, but there are ways to find it...that's the best way to help.

Hopefully everything gets up and running for you tx-jose...let me know if you run into any issues.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:42:35 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Yeah, curious to know what idle temps are as well...even ambient...maybe he lives in the boiler room of a steam ship?


I have known few people to have bad bios settings ;wrong core voltage (main cause to overheat) ,multiplier and they will claim to run all stock
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 2:57:47 PM

Voltages is where you run into heat problems. Sure, clocking your chip up is always fun, but if you are running higher voltage than needed for the sustained clock speeds, you are only shortening the life of the chip and generating more heat than necessary. Which, is why there are guides and stickies out there on how to properly overclock...not just using the BIOS dummy features or a GUI application.

If you are going to take the time to do it, take the time to do it right, and take the time to learn how to do it.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 3:01:27 PM

rubix is right......


i have sen people get to 4Ghz but run like an ungodly 1.5v on their CPU. yah thats just WAYYY too much. im still new to overclocking my self and you will always be learning new methods and ways to OC but good ol BIOS is the way to go :D 
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 3:15:02 PM

BIOS is always the best way to OC your CPU; don't let anyone tell you that a GUI app is better...no way.

But, there are also a lot of motherboards that have dummy settings like 5%, 10%, 20% OC...etc. These work temporarily, but still not the best way. The best way is to understand the voltages needed to sustain the clocks with stability as well as balancing out everything else including FSB, RAM, etc.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 3:19:43 PM

yes my mobo had that turbo and twin turbo button on the GUI and it would reboot nd the OC was applied to the BIOS......


that lasted like 2 days before i did it all manually :D 
Score
0
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 4:24:22 PM

Do you want overclock?

List 1st the things that you want do with the CPU, because if you only want slow down the temps you DON'T need liquid cooling, get a decent air cooler and problem solved.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 4:37:38 PM

saint19 said:
Do you want overclock?

List 1st the things that you want do with the CPU, because if you only want slow down the temps you DON'T need liquid cooling, get a decent air cooler and problem solved.


dude he claims to hit 66c on stock..you guys have to stop with heatsinks/LC. I don't think thats the problem
@Op show us the screen shot of HWmonitor
Score
0
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:03:10 PM

ortoklaz said:
dude he claims to hit 66c on stock..you guys have to stop with heatsinks/LC. I don't think thats the problem
@Op show us the screen shot of HWmonitor



I know that, DO you read this?
Quote:
I have an Asetek H50 Liquid Cooling and i justt applied Arctic Silver 5 yesterday but that didn't help none


Even with overvoltage, the H50 with AS5 @ stock should not go over 50ºC.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:11:57 PM

saint19 said:
I know that, DO you read this?
Quote:
I have an Asetek H50 Liquid Cooling and i justt applied Arctic Silver 5 yesterday but that didn't help none


Even with overvoltage, the H50 with AS5 @ stock should not go over 50ºC.


do you even know where is he getting this temps from??
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:15:34 PM

Anytime I even start to think about liquid cooling (typically to reduce noise), I see another thread in which someone is crying over his liquid cooling system (anything from simple closed system to custom loop) taking a leak all over the inside of his PC; stick to air. A 120mm-fan cooler will not be that loud, and will do a decent job.
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:16:24 PM

Quote:
Even with overvoltage, the H50 with AS5 @ stock should not go over 50ºC.


It would if he did a poor job of remounting the block.

Quote:
Anytime I even start to think about liquid cooling (typically to reduce noise), I see another thread in which someone is crying over his liquid cooling system (anything from simple closed system to custom loop) taking a leak all over the inside of his PC; stick to air. A 120mm-fan cooler will not be that loud, and will do a decent job.


Great, you stick to air, i'll stick to water.

No offense, but why are you trolling the thread instead of either offering good information/help or just reading and moving on?

Watercooling isn't for someone who simply can't change their own oil, iron a shirt or shower themselves. It isn't rocket surgery...just some common sense, information, understanding and patience.
Score
0
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:23:43 PM

ortoklaz said:
do you even know where is he getting this temps from??


No, but i'm pretty sure that if he know which is the max temps supported by the CPU, he can know where look that temp in software or BIOS.

Quote:
It would if he did a poor job of remounting the block.


What do you mean with poor job?
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:31:18 PM

I can't believe this..
I remember helping this guy few weeks back..he purchased this PC with Asetek in it,already told him to change this old unit but before, I told him to reapply thermal paste and see if that will make the difference .He said.." he just find out how to monitor the temperature "
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:32:58 PM

^Yeah, now that you say this...it's vaguely familiar...

Quote:
What do you mean with poor job?


If the block isn't fully seated after reapplying TIM.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's always a possibility.
Score
0
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:40:47 PM

ortoklaz said:
I can't believe this..
I remember helping this guy few weeks back..he purchased this PC with Asetek in it,already told him to change this old unit but before, I told him to reapply thermal paste and see if that will make the difference .He said.." he just find out how to monitor the temperature "


:lol:  Why you don't mention that in 1st place? :lol: , never mind, we need wait until the OP's reply.
Score
0
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:48:58 PM

rubix_1011 said:
^Yeah, now that you say this...it's vaguely familiar...

Quote:
What do you mean with poor job?


If the block isn't fully seated after reapplying TIM.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's always a possibility.


Not very possible I think.
Score
0
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 5:53:54 PM

You'd be surprised...anything is possible.

However, i'd not place money on this being the issue...
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 7:52:10 PM

i would almost bet money the thermal compound was applies improperly. I have seen this before on another thread that the OP's friend only applied it to the sides of the CPU and not the thing as a whole.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 9:30:32 PM

Wow,thats alot to respond to let me just say what i rember reading...
My abmeiant temps are 75F and my computer idle's at around 38F has been near 65F for the longest time past 6 months i've only recently discovered how to use AMD Overdrive and where i saw the temps for the first time and saw this problem.I thought a new coat of thermal paste would help but i think it is just the Cooler itself.It is made by Asetek which i couldn't find anything on,and from what i've heard the H50 is mainly made by Corsair,i'm sure the Corsair version works great but this one does not,you would think they would put a decent cooler in it with running a 120watt CPU.
I have read temps both in HWmontior and AMD Overdrive and they are both saying the same thing.I'm planning to O.C. alothugh i am still learning last time i tryed to O.C. was 6 months ago and i got it up to 3.7 before it crashed and i havent tryed it since,i must do something about this cooler because i am sure it is the problem before i can start to O.C.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 9:39:56 PM

purple stank said:
Wow,thats alot to respond to let me just say what i rember reading...
My abmeiant temps are 75F and my computer idle's at around 38F has been near 65F for the longest time past 6 months i've only recently discovered how to use AMD Overdrive and where i saw the temps for the first time and saw this problem.I thought a new coat of thermal paste would help but i think it is just the Cooler itself.It is made by Asetek which i couldn't find anything on,and from what i've heard the H50 is mainly made by Corsair,i'm sure the Corsair version works great but this one does not,you would think they would put a decent cooler in it with running a 120watt CPU.
I have read temps both in HWmontior and AMD Overdrive and they are both saying the same thing.I'm planning to O.C. alothugh i am still learning last time i tryed to O.C. was 6 months ago and i got it up to 3.7 before it crashed and i havent tryed it since,i must do something about this cooler because i am sure it is the problem before i can start to O.C.


Hi ..look at your first post "is around 65c even at stock everything"- "F" stands for Fahrenheit and "C" for Celsius that's a huge difference so which one is it??
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 9:46:37 PM

I meant under a load at stock everything the way the computer came.Stock voltage of 1.4.I started a log to see if the thermal paste was helping and when i was done it said the average was 60c and the max was 66c.I can't even run benchmarks at the stock voltage because it starts getting around 65c and then i stop it because i worry about it.The room temp is 75f i just didn't convert it to celsisus.I meant 65c under a load,but thats still not good.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 10:05:33 PM

Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 10:08:11 PM

Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 11:03:31 PM

you have to upload this with imageshack i can't see it ..open HWmonitor and AMD overdrive
note; open up AMD overdrive where it shows core speed,multiplier,etc just follow my previous post

when overclocking have you make any changes in bios or just AMD-OD?
post HWmonitor temps under load
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 12:12:20 AM

So i think i have a problem...I just saw the fan speeds on AMD Overdrive,it's the first time they ever showed it thru there,so what the problem is,i see the corsair model of the H50 having a max fan speed of 1600rpm and mine is only doing 600rpm as you can see on fan 1 or it could be different bu i always thought my radiator fan was the higher number but the temps tell me different,maybe just a simple fan adjustment and i don't need to get a new one?










Score
0

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 1:17:47 AM

OK first of all uninstal AMD overdrive (don't worry you can always install it latter )this will give you default settings (stock);


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Go in to the bios with the manual and set up PWM mode for a 4-pin CPU fan so it will run 100% if that won't change you fan speed I would scrap this (don't bother with new fan) cooling unit and get new heatsink .Once you get your temps under control read this;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x4-965-be-proce...
Instal AMD overdrive and start overclocking ..start tipping your multiplier,you should be able to hit 3.4~3.6 before overvolting
good luck buddy

Edit; You could try to change the fan tho..it's up to you
Share
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 1:32:44 AM

What is that you highlighted in the pic?And thats the thing i discovered when i put the thermal paste in,the radiator fan and the pump both are only 3-pin,they have it so that the 3 pin is going into the 4-pin CPU fan slot.So i think it is just the Cooling rig itself.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 1:52:48 AM



Thats what it looks like after unistall AMD Overdrive and turned off some power saving options,seems that they just won't go any faster they are maxed out.Guess i just need to go get a new Cooler.I was looking at the H70 what is your opinion on that?
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 2:31:49 AM

Fans. nuff said.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 2:35:39 AM

purple stank said:
What is that you highlighted in the pic?And thats the thing i discovered when i put the thermal paste in,the radiator fan and the pump both are only 3-pin,they have it so that the 3 pin is going into the 4-pin CPU fan slot.So i think it is just the Cooling rig itself.


some mobos have 4 pin some 3 pin PWM ,I highlighted this crazy 84C ,don't know why you getting this (it could be mobo) and the fan's(it looks like they spining now) ,you have to go through the bios(may have to update bios),check all your settings, test memory,run driver agent,etc..in general make sure every thing is in tip top shape before you start overclocking
I mention heatsink because it's cheaper and quick fix for you, any will do for now, H70 is overpriced you could get RASA kit for few $ more
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 3:11:02 AM

Best answer selected by purple stank.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 3:11:15 AM

Thankyou all for your help
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 2:23:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!