***Trouble with new i7 build!!!***

deadsheep

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
i have the i7 920 with the evga x58 sli board. i bought the 6gig ocz gold ddr3 1600 triple channel pack. the comp seems a bit sluggish and freezes about once every hour or so depending on if im using programs. im on vista 64bit. i went into the bios and changed the ram frequency to 1600 and the timings to 8-8-8-24 like the ram suggests. but cpu-z says my frequency is only gonig to about 797 mhz. im not sure how to get the frequency up. i also heard that the voltage is usually automatically set too high for the ram...im not sure what voltage it should be. another thing that might be the problem could be that the northbridge and vreg temp seem high (about 60c) im also not aware of what normal temps for these are. if you need anymore info from me just post a reply, ill check up on this all day. any help would be appreciated. thanks:)

787 is about 800. DDR stands for Double Data Rate. 800x2 is 1600. So, that is correct.

Download and run Real Temp and tell us what your core temps are.

You also need to set the DRAM voltage to what is listed in the SPD tab in CPU-Z.

Your RAM voltage should be set to 1.65v. It's normal for CPU-Z to show the RAM running at 797 Mhz. It always shows up that way. My DDR2 800 RAM shows up as 400 Mhz in CPU-Z. Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to test for RAM errors? If not, I would manually set the voltage to 1.65v and run memtest.

What HD do you have? Seagate is currently having major firmware/reliability issues. I hope you don't have a Seagate drive.

deadsheep

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
the voltage that cpu-z lists is 1.5v, should i set it to that then? as far as temps, i used speedfan and all the temps are between 34 and 37 degrees...except for the temp 2 (chip- f71882f, bus- isa, address- $290) which ranges between 57-63 idle.

TRENDING THREADS