Ortho and errors on Blend test

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hi
I have been observing a weird problem with my new mobo. I have 8G of PNY DDR3 1333MHz RAM (4x2G). When I put all the sticks into the mobo, and run tests using memtest86/86+ and other memory tests from the UltimateBootCD for more than 24 hours without a single problem. I also used Windows Memory test Tools with the same result - clean. However, when I run windows, I get blue screens with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT problem being reported all the time.
I used also MemTest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/support.html, which generates plenty of read/write errors under windows. I am very much confused so to what can be the potential problem of an error.
I run Ortho stress test. CPU only tests are clean after 5+ hours of testing. RAM only tests are clear after 5+ hours. When I try a BLEND type test, I get error within 10 seconds from the start.
Memory runs at nominal timings, (9/9/9/24) with upped voltage (1.6V versus 1.5 in automode).
Any suggestions on what I should be looking at ?
Thanks
Marek

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
System: Windows 7 x64
Mobo: GA-P55A-UD4P
Memory: 4x2G PNY DDR3 1333MHz, running 1333MHz at 9/9/9/20 (stock timing) at 1.6V (stock voltage)
HDD: 1TB Caviar Black
GPU: PNY GF460

CPU & memory running stock voltage and automatic settings

Thanks

Marek

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Correct, however, I tested the voltage range between 1.3 and 1.67 V already and it does not seem to impact the observed instability problems.
I tested voltage range between 1.3 and 1.67V, with memory clock between 800 and 1333 MHz. I could not find a single combination that would work in a stable manner.
The best part of it is there is no memory corruption using Memtest86/86+ tools without running Windows ...

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
If you set the proper voltage and timings and your not overclocking, it might be time to start testing the modals for defects. It's a pain in the arse but I would test each stick individually. You might have a bad stick or two, can't hurt to try. And just to clarify, all other settings are default or auto correct?

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I spent already 2 weeks testing them one by one. Same result. No errors shown in Memtest86/86+, errors and blue-screens when running Windows. I am out of ideas. If nothing else can be done, I will return memory sticks today and replace with a different brand. Sick of PNY

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Just did something really stupid: disabled the CPU EIST / C1E / C3/6/7. memory is stable under Windows. Any explanation for that ??????

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Sorry, no such option in my BIOS :(
Now testing whether 8G will work fine with this configuration, 4G seems to have no problems passing burn in tests. Will let it run for 1 hour and come back with any feedback
Thanks for the time

marek_haj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks. Found it (was in strange greenish colour and not really visible). It turns out that 3 banks out of 4 have errors. Only one is stable.
Will return the memory tomorrow and ask for a different brand.
Thank you for your time