Sign in with
Your question

Computer not booting with second hard disk

Last response: in Storage
October 29, 2010 1:43:16 PM

I've a 160GB seagate hard disk as my primary hard disk. I've recently bought a 500GB WD hard disk as my secondry hard drive. The hard disk was working fine the first time. I formatted it and it was working perfectly. While moving data from my primary hard disk, the new hard disk suddenly disconnected. My computer doesn't show the hard disk. I restarted the computer but the computer's not booting.When I start the computer without the new hard disk it boots up and works fine. I've also tried to remove the primary hard disk and use the new hard disk as primary but still the compter is not booting. It only boots when I remove the new hard disk. But this hard disk is working fine on my friend's pc. What could be the reason? How can I make this Hard disk work on my pc? Please help.
Here is my pc configuration-
Windows 7 32bit , XP SP3 32bit
2GB DDR2 RAM
PSU 250WATT
PENTIUM 4 3.00 GHZ

Here is my friend's configuration-
Windows 7 64bit , XP SP3 64bit
2.5GB DDR2 RAM
PSU 450WATT
PENTIUM D 3.00 GHZ

...and please tell me if you want more info.
Thanks
October 29, 2010 4:58:49 PM

Have you checked in the BIOS, it is probably as simple as the BIOS lists the new HDD as the primary boot disk looks it it to book then goes "NOPE NO OS I AIN'T DOING JACK".

Should be some sort of boot options within there after hitting f2 delete or whatever your motherboard has set to get into BIOS settings.
m
l
!