20pin power supply 24 pin mobo ?? - HELP plz -

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
So right now 500w PSU 20 pin plugged into 24pin mobo, with addition 4 pin from PSU into EZ_PLUG on mobo, video card also has its own cord directly into PSU.

Everything should be OK... anyone know why it wont boot or power on? No LED's , NO beeps, NO fans spinning..... =-(

Looked around some ppl say its ok some say its not...

Power Supply:

ULTRA XConnect ATX 500wats with a 20pin cord

MOBO:

ASUS P5WD2-E with a 24 pin slot

the MOBO PDF talks about a 20pin cord http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5WD2-E%20Premium/e2385_p5wd2-e_pr.pdf

but if its safe where would i plug it in... which 4 pins should i not use:

24P_DET Ground
+12 +5

or

+3 -12
+3 +3

ok because of square/circle setup only fits to one side i lose

24P_DET Ground
+12 +5

I've been reading the 4 slots are mainly for PCI power, or to regulate 12v.... i have 2x PCIe cards in it a sound card, and a video card.. but the video card has a plug that goes directly into the PSU and doesnt power off the MOBO... i dont want to plug this in w/out least kinda knowing it wont go KABOOM lol

Note:

While the PSU has a 20pin cord and a 4pin cord they do NOT snap together or anything like I'm reading, the 4pin if for the CPU power, and the 20pin cord has a kinda lip/overhang so I couldn't put them side/side if i tried.

I'm reading that a 20into 24 is fine on ausu mobo the extra power needed can be overcome by plugging in a diff cord from mobo to the 4 slot EZ_PLUG right below the 24 pin MOBO power plug.

The additional 4 pin 12v plug does not go to EZ plug. A four pin molex would go there. The 4 pin 12v plugs into the MB near the CPU to provide power to the processor. Without it the system will not boot.

Your manual:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5WD2-E%20Premium/e2385_p5wd2-e_pr.pdf

says "When installing two VGA cards using a 20-pin ATX PSU with sufficient +12V capability, we recommend that you connect the EZ Plug for better current path from +12V." and

"You may use a 4-pin ATX12V in this (4/8 pin EATX12V) connector."

So, if you have the 20-pin installed, and the 4-pin (in the 8-pin socket), and a molex in the EZ Plug, either your psu isn't doing the job or you have a different problem.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Right right i have the 4 pin in a square going to teh CPU

theres also a 4pin rectangle EZ_plug that i have connected

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
" So, if you have the 20-pin installed, and the 4-pin (in the 8-pin socket), and a molex in the EZ Plug, either your psu isn't doing the job or you have a different problem. "

How can I tell if its my PSU? the only other one i have here is a 250w from an old dell 4550 and that wouldnt really work with this mobo/videocard lol.

the PSU (ULTRA XConnect ATX 500wats) has a switch on outside 115/230 im guessing incoming wats, doesn't work on either setting, is there any other like switches or resets or anyway i could have set it up wrong?

Its a used PSU form a friend, but it was working fine for him...

You [strike]may[/strike] probably have PSU problems. But if you meant that you unplugged everything - including the motherboard - from the PSU, the PSU is dead because you have no way of turning it on.

If you jumper the green wire to one of the adjacent black wires - say, with a paperclip - and the fans do not turn on, the PSU is most likely dead. However, spinning fans by themselves do not indicate a good PSU. The fans are only a minimal load.