P7P55D Memroy Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yars

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Just picked up the following:

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

I put it all together and when I turn it on, the DRAM warning led lights up. The P7P55D manual suggest holding down the MemOK! button for memory compatibility. It runs through it's thing and I end back up at a solid DRAM light on again.

Any idea what the problem is here?

Solution
SUCCESS !!!
I put one memory module in slot A1 and applied power, then cleared CMOS, then it booted with successful POST.
Added second module in slot B1 and successful boot again.
Added third and fourth modules (4 x 2GB) and successfully booted, good POST, entered Setup.
Now the problem is that only 4 GB is recognized, but 8 GB is installed. This can probably be fixed by flashing the BIOS after the OS is installed.
Memory modules are OK, motherboard is OK, frustration has gone away.
To Mongox: Thanks again for your help. Regards, Max_52

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'm not familar with a DRAM warning leds? On the MB or the RAM?

One thing to make sure you've done is to set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults or similar to start with. From there, work on changing settings.

You don't mention if the board POSTs or not.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

I have same motherboard with same problem. Core i7-860 2.8 GHZ cpu and 8GB Corsair XMS3 (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). Unable to POST, DRAM LED goes to steady after blinking through the Memory OK routine. I tried 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks, and 4 sticks of memory, unable to POST. I'm considering RMA of Corsair memory. We have same problem but different memory manufacturers. Any suggestions?

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

I have same motherboard with same problem. Core i7-860 2.8 GHZ cpu and 8GB Corsair XMS3 (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). Unable to POST, DRAM LED goes to steady after blinking through the Memory OK routine. I tried 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks, and 4 sticks of memory, unable to POST. I'm considering RMA of Corsair memory. We have same problem but different memory manufacturers. Any suggestions?

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

DRAM warning light is on the motherboard. Will not POST.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Already tried that with 2 sticks in A1 and B1, no POST. Do you think it's defective memory? I have Corsair, other person (Yars) with same motherboard and same problem has G.Skill.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
From my reading of the RAM vendor list, both of your RAM modules are on the approved list - although oddly many of them list as 6MB and the 3 piece part number for a MB that only allows 2 or 4 sticks...

Try one module at a time, in all slots? Disconnect everything but PSU, cpu fan and ram - normal troubleshooting steps.

It's hard to believe that both of you got two bad RAM modules - there's something else wrong here. Much easier to believe that both of you have a bad motherboard actually.

Can you enter the BIOS? Is there a way to reset BIOS from keyboard without entering it? Try the clear CMOS jumper.

Might be time to ask questions in the ASUS forum here to - and do a forum search for your MB model. And Google search for that model and RAM error led.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for your help. I tried one module in the A1 slot, but I didn't try each one separately. I'll also clear CMOS using the convenient Reset button on the motherboard. I just read an interesting article about generic defects affecting memory: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3596&p=3

That article addresses multiple mfgrs for 2000 mhz DDR3.

I'll respond back tomorrow afternoon and let you know if anything worked. Thanks.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for your help. I tried one module in the A1 slot, but I didn't try each one separately. I'll also clear CMOS using the convenient Reset button on the motherboard. I just read an interesting article about generic defects affecting memory: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3596&p=3

That article addresses multiple mfgrs for 2000 mhz DDR3.

I'll respond back tomorrow afternoon and let you know if anything worked. Thanks.

Added info: That link takes you to Page 3 of the article, you need to drop the "&p=3" to get to the first page. Describes defect in IC's used in RAM.
Interesting, could be generic problem here.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
SUCCESS !!!
I put one memory module in slot A1 and applied power, then cleared CMOS, then it booted with successful POST.
Added second module in slot B1 and successful boot again.
Added third and fourth modules (4 x 2GB) and successfully booted, good POST, entered Setup.
Now the problem is that only 4 GB is recognized, but 8 GB is installed. This can probably be fixed by flashing the BIOS after the OS is installed.
Memory modules are OK, motherboard is OK, frustration has gone away.
To Mongox: Thanks again for your help. Regards, Max_52

Solution

Interloop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi,
I have a different problem on the same MB, hope you can help me as well.
My problem is the CPU, The cpuLED is constantly lightning, the second i push the power button the light comes on. Nothing on the display, no sound nothing... the fan runs but everythings just black. I think the cpu is the first step in the POST so maybe thats why nothing else is happening?

Hope to get some comments.

-Thomas

irfyd

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
same problem here i have the p7p55d evo + i7 860 gskill ripjaw cas7. I hit the power and the fans just spin for a while. Sometime i press the onboard power switch just in time and the pc boots. Once it boots everything is OK...BUT its when i shut down and then try to restart the problem is back again. ASUS need to do something ASAP we need a proper bios fix. Ive tried different memory OCZ DDR1333 cas 9 which the manual mentions and still no difference. Its the BIOS !!!!

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

CPU light remaining steady indicates CPU is either defective or not properly installed. Take it out and reinstall it, make sure it is inserted properly. Only fits one way, two little slots on the sides and the gold triangle goes in lower left corner, see Page 2-6 of the motherboard manual.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Hello Mongox,
8 GB of DDR3 1600 mhz is installed (4 x 2 GB) but BIOS only recognizes 4 MB on ASUS P7P55D-EVO with Core i7-860 2.8 GHZ CPU. No OS installed at this time, no HDD yet. I downloaded and installed updated BIOS Version 0606 from ASUS website using the ASUS BIOS flash utility via flash drive, but still only recognizes 4 MB. Video card is ATI Radeon HD 4679 with 1 GB GDDR3. Good POST. BIOS adjustment for remapping of memory is set as Enabled. I tried to set to Disabled and the usable memory was smaller (3.something GB). All settings of timing are in Auto and have not been changed.
I have posted a question to ASUS.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Max.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
In Manual: "According to Intel spec definition, DDR3-1600 is supported for one DIMM per channel only. ASUS exclusively provides two DDR3-1600 DIMM support for each memory channel."

Looks like they forgot to support it on YOUR board!

I would do this. Take all RAM out and put them one by one into slot A1. Test to make sure it works. Then mark two as a pair, put them in A1 and B1. Test. Put the other pair into A1 and B1. See if one of them might be bad.

I think ASUS is the source for help at this point.

justdweezil

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I have the exact same problem as the original poster, and am going to be trying the recommended 1. Power On. 2. Clear CMOS. 3. Power on again thing.

UPDATE: So that removed the DRAM light, but I'm still not posting. However, I am getting a very, very brief CPU_LED light. Is that normal or should I try reseating/repasting the CPU?

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Brief CPU LED is normal. A problem would be indicated if it stays on steady. Do you have a video card installed? The motherboard has a light for the video card, does it blink and then go off? On my board, I get the CPU light (blinks and goes out), memory light (blink - actually stays on for a few seconds, and goes out), then the video card light (blinks and goes out), and it POSTS and goes to a display on monitor. (I don't have a HDD installed yet, so that light remains on steady.)

What about the video?

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Thanks. I read the manual concerning the one DIMM per channel. After I test the four modules, I'll look at the actual frequency of the memory on the BIOS, maybe lowering the frequency would fool the board that the DIMMs are not 1600. Another possibility is to RMA the memory and get 8GB of 1333 MHZ, or keep 2 GB for the next computer build project. ASUS promises a response in 48 hrs., so it will be interesting to see what they say.

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Success ! 8GB recognized in BIOS. Two memory modules were not fully inserted. ASUS innovative feature described in a separate loose page included with the motherboard: "Q-DIMM" for "easy" installation, retaining clip only on one end of DIMM socket. Their innovation allows the module to be only partially inserted on the other end. In order to properly insert the module, a lot of force is needed to press down on both ends, and by careful visual examination on the ends without the clips, you can see if all the modules are fully seated. I found this while testing each module in slot A1: first round indicated 3 modules did not work, which wasn't possible since two had previously worked. Required very careful visual examination to detect that insertion wasn't complete on the end without the clip.

Thanks for your help once again.

I also received a response from ASUS: 1. Test each module in slot A1. 2. Confirm from memory manufacturer that the memory is compatible with the motherboard (previously done on the Corsair website) 3. If all modules work and the memory is compatible with the motherboard, then ASUS said the problem is with the CPU. Obviously, they don't consider that their board could be the culprit.

With the BIOS setting of DRAM frequency set in Auto, the initial screen that flashes during POST inidcates the memory is detected at 1333 Mhz. Btw, do you know how to get this first screen to stay on the monitor for more than 2 seconds?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Great! Again!

LOL, Asus is full of innovations, eh? My poor Gigabyte board has to rely upon normal RAM slots. And doesn't have any LEDs, have to hook up a speaker to get POST error codes. Hasn't come up with mine - completed POST every time no matter how I've abused it (fingers crossed).

I'm with you about the fast clearing of the screen - wish I could see it. For me, it's the screen at the end of POST, that used to show you the full configuration but is now blanked out by all the port info at the bottom. That info used to be about 2 lines long, now it's about 22 lines. I don't think anyone is fast enough with the Pause key, which works, to stop that info from scrolling off the screen.

What apparently works is to actually film the screen with a camera, then upload it and slow down the frame rate to see the full screens. Haven't tried it myself but others say it works.

justdweezil

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Every time I've booted I've kept my eyes on the board for any other lights. At this point, absolutely no lights flash for even the shortest moment except for the CPU LED. I do have a video card installed plugged into a working monitor, but still no POST. If the video card were faulty, it should still display the POST/BIOS on the screen, shouldn't it?

Max_52

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

If the CPU light blinks, it means the CPU is detected and is OK. If the CPU light stays on, there is a CPU problem. At that point, nothing else will happen. If the CPU light blinks and goes off, the board has succesfully detected a good CPU. The memory light comes next and blinks (stays lit for about 2-3 seconds and goes out), which indicates the memory has been detected and is OK. Then the CPU light blinks real fast and the video light comes on, also for about 1 second, which indicates it has been detected OK.

If you get a blink on the CPU light and nothing on the memory light, something is wrong. Check your power supply connections to the motherboard, should be an 8 pin power connector on top of board and a 24 pin connector on side of board.

Then remove the memory modules and see if you get a steady memory light, which means it can't detect the memory.

Plug a beeper into the bottom right of the motherboard and listen for beeps. Beep codes are on Page 2-42 of the manual.

Nothing will show on the monitor until it passes POST. If you have beeper connected, you will hear one short beep which means everything has been detected, and a few seconds later the monitor will show the ASUS screen. You won't see anything on the monitor if CPU, memory or video have a problem.

justdweezil

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

I must have an issue on top of the OP then, because after clearing the CMOS, I only get the quick CPU LED and nothing else. No quick DRAM LED, no quick VGA LED; no other lights at all. When I boot without any RAM in the board, there is also a quick CPU LED and no DRAM LED. I have the speaker plugged in (have switched orientation several times to make sure it is correct) but I haven't heard a single beep. Does this mean I most likely have a motherboard issue? How else can I verify that it's the motherboard and not RAM or other components?

Thanks for the help, by the way. You owe me nothing, and I appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.