Phenom 2 965 BE overclocking

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hey,

This will be my first overclock and I have some short general questions.

1.How high can Phenom 2 965 BE be OC on air?

2. Is this i general what I should do when overclocking?

Increase multiplier gradually until pc gets unstable
Then increse voltage slightly.
Then increase multiplier again.
ect.....

3. I just have 4gb ordinary ram. kingston valueselect. 1333mhz
Will that limit my OC?

Here is rest of my specs:

amd 965 BE, 3,4 ghz
4gb kingston ram. 1333mhz
corsair a70 cpu fan
fractal design r3 case. with 4 fans
550w corsair psu
cyclone gtx 460 1gb gpu
asus4A88t-v evo motherboard
3xhdd

1. Depends on the overclock ability of your components, Ambient room temperature, Case Airflow, CPU cooling, Operating system you're running WinXP 32bit clocks higher than WinVista or Win7 64bit.
On air most can at least get to 4.0ghz stable.

2. Yes

3. No, not if you use the AMD Black Edition Overclock Guide.

If there was anything in your setup that I would be concerned about it would be the 550w power supply, but try your overclock first and see how it goes.

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Read your overclocking guide for amd now. I dont want to overclock extreme. 3,8 ghz will be plenty enough for me.
So that means I dont need to touch other things than vcore and multiplier?

Or do I also need to overclock the fsb, ram, htlink to get a good stable overclock at 3,8?

I want to do it as easy as possible so if I can avoid making it too complicated it would be great.

and some more questions:

Do I need to disable cool`n quiet? I do that in bios?

my MB has something called core unlocker and turbo boost ans stuff like that. Do I unlock this physically on my mb or do I do that in bios?

And what if pc freezes or wont boot. will the bios automatically reset to my previous settings? Or do I need to physically reset something on my MB. A button called cmos maybe, on the MB?

Everyone of these questions are already addressed in the guide, I suggest re-reading it.

The very reason I invested the time and effort in creating, updating, and posting the guide in the first place was so THGF users could learn and help themselves, and the constant endless barrage of how to overclock my AMD Black Edition CPU could be answered in one place.

I do not answer individual questions out in the forum regarding the guide, unless you've tried everything you can and still cannot get anywhere, because the answers are in the hours upon hours of writing and updating the guide, it will get you where you need to go if you're willing to invest the time learning from it, so use it.

Then ask your questions, and if you've discovered something not covered in the guide, I'll be glad to help you, and also amend the guide for the next user.

Good luck in your overclocking endeavors! Ryan

I am in the same boat is you,i am new to this O.C.ing stuff and i am currently buying an new heatsink for this endeavor.I too have a Phenom ii 965 B.E.
My mobo does not have a Core unlocker but i think that is meant for a x2/x3 CPU and ours are x4.It is possible that it could unlock the x4 to a x6 but i haven't read on anything like that b4.

Also,most of those questions about CMOS and coolnquiet can be found in your Motherboards Manual that came with it.It is much easier and more percise for the info you want.I disabled CoolnQuiet only because i don't worry about my electricty bill,but that is totally up to u.

Remember i am still new to this and any info you find out plz throw it my way.

Also this might answer your questin about the Core Unlocker feature on your Mobo requarding your 965 B.E.

It's not possible, the only Phenom II X4 that can be unlocked to a Phenom II X6 is the Phenom II X4 960T (see here) that hasn't be released to the public.

So it Appears that only x2 and x3 CPU's can be unlocked.

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Since we both are in the same boat and have same cpu it would be interesting to share some info. whats the rest of your specs? and which heatsink did u order?

I have ordered corsair a70.
specs: amd 965 be, 125w
4gig kingston ram
M4A88T-V EVO

Ryan sorry for asking so much. English is not my native language, and not so many spesific and good guides in my country. I will re-read it anyway. thanks

Phenom ii x4 965B.E.
System Specs.:
Gigabyte 770T-USB3
4G DDR3 1333Mhz
Apevia 500 Watt
Asetek H50
Radeon HD 5570
Samsung 20"

I currently have a H50 Liquid Cooling by Asetek but they built it cheaply and my comp is close to overheating everytime i play a game so i orderd a new one.That new one would be a ZEROtherm ZT-10D.
Seen here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887027

That A70 you have is a really good cooler but i think the Hyper212+ is practially the same thing just cheaper,what are your temps like with the A70(idle/load)

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
yes I also considered bting 212+ but in my country the price was the same. So I went for the a70.
But I dont get it before 21/12. Now I have a arctic freezer 64 pro cooler. very silent, but not effective for cooling my cpu. I am abit worried about temps. 45 idle and 55-59 during gaming.
the cooler is designed for am2 i guess. But it said to also be used on am3. But it actually dont covers whole of the cpu surface.

we have same ram speed and almost same psu watt. I have 550w
Share some knowledge when u start to overclock with me :)
which games are u playing? because I have read that the cpu is normally not a bottleneck in gaming. but the gpu is. But I play flight simulator, and this game is much more cpu demanding than gpu demanding ;)

I get 40c idle and temps can go as high as 66c during gaming as you can see has me really worried,your temps aren't half as bad but you really do need a better cooler if your planning to O.C.But it's good you are getting a new one.Mostly all AMD sockets are universal, meaning AM2 and AM3 sockets will fit together.You say it doesn't cover the whole surface of the chip or not the whole bracke?t.Because if it's the chip then thats a serious problem,Anyway you should try applying a new Thermal Paste like Arctic Silver 5 it would drop temps around 2c more.

I will keep it in mind.
I am playing Starcraft 2,Left 4 Dead,Call of Duty:Black Ops and Warhammer.Our CPU's the Phenom ii 965's shouldn't be getting bottlenecked by anything,it is a pretty powerful CPU,it is mostly the GPU actually.In Flight simulator it is very graphics intensive as you can tell,so it would require a very large card to run it smoothly.
What type of graphics card do you have now,and what is your resolution of the monitor you play?

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Flight simulator is more cpu intensive than gpu intensive. I have a msi cyclone gtx 460 1gb card. Overkill for the fsx but graphics is nice. Anyway the FSX is still lagging and thats because of not enough cpu power. Flight sim is different than other games which are much more gpu demanding.

I use arctic silver 5. But temps has not dropped that much. well, i really hope for low temps when I apply the new cooler. I play with 1980x1080 I think.

the msi cyclone gtx 460 1gb card is really great. very low temps 40-50 under full load, low noise.
I see u have a 5570 card. I guess a 460 card would make ur gaming smoother. But it has its price ;)

G

Hey just thought id add some data for you to have a look at.

System:
MSI K9A2 Platinum V1
Phenom II 965 C2 BE @ 3.8Ghz - Corsair H50-1 cooler.
ATI 4870 @ 800mhzGPU/900mhzVRAM
4Gig Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz(ish) 4-4-4-12 with 2.1v
Case - Raven 02
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

Here in the pic you can see i stressed everything on the pc using all stress tests for maximum case heat and power consuption etc for 30 mins then took a screenshot.

CPU is at 1.425VID and 1.44 Core voltage. Ref clock is 245 so HT is 2450 and NB is same, using a VID of 1.25 volts to keep stable which is essential otherwise rare but persistant BSODS and errors will occur.

Personally i cant squeeze anything left out of the CPU above this point no matter what i try in overclocking, the muli gives me up to 3.7ghz alone without voltage tweak and if i do tweak it, it doesnt help. I can only reach 3.8ghz by changing the FSB and adding a little voltage as i have done here, also gives better results too as the NB and HT are increased too. It is stable at these settings for 24/7 use and never crashes or BSODS. My temps are always very good maxing out at 51C on full load and around 30C idle.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/waddmyster/ExtremeStabilityTest.jpg

ExtremeStabilityTest.jpg

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Yes I KNOW its more cpu demanding, just look around in forums and google about the topic.
With me fsx is lagging abit, and thats not because of my gpu but cpu. Ok, it might be some lagging because I have fsx on my OS disk, but main reason is too weak cpu. To run fsx really smooth u need a high end i7 cpu. Unfornuteley for me fsx runs better on intel than amd :(

G

Actually FSX also depends a lot on graphics card as well as CPU. My phenom 965 copes fine with fsx overclocked but i know my ati 4870 is limiting it. there is no such thing as overkill in any aspect of pc power for fsx imho lol. So i think a phenom over 3.6ghz at least is enuff for fsx on custom high settings and gpu is actually the thing limiting it, an I7 has little advantage in the gaming world, even in fsx, arma 2 or gta there is almost no real difference in fps.

So basically even the most demanding CPU intensive games still require or benefit greatly from having a very powerfull card like a 6970 or a Geforce 580 in addition to a good processor.

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
yes a overclocked 965 would definately help. Therefore I will learn to overclock.
Yes ur ati 4870 is bottleneck. It seems like a much lower end component compared to your OC 965. Of course. But if u have a 5570 or 5770 card. I think that will be enough, and better use rest of money on a i7 for fsx. Compared to have a high end gpu and lower end cpu.

So I would say that in fsx all components must be strong. But usually it will be cpu that is limiting u. better have a super fast cpu and abit lower gpu than super fast gpu and slower cpu, in FSX.

I suspect both the Gigabyte & Asus motherboards will tend to over-volt on *Auto* settings so I would suggest first understand setting voltages manually.

The really great thing is they will each do a 250MHz clock, and with your RAMs dropped back to 533, a 250MHz system clock will bring them back to spec speed.

And I also suspect at 1.35v or less you can run 14x250MHz quite easily, especially if you bump the IMC/NB volts to 1.2v or so.

Then, it's just a matter of workin' that vCore and CPU multiplier.

Voltages: 0.825v-1.40v --- Max Temps: 62c

15x250 should come in at 1.38v -- beyond that it's up to youse guys :lol:

I imagine 17x250 would work, too, but she might get a bit toasty, Capt'n, and them volts might approach OMG status.

I'm holding steady at 3.8ghz @ 1.450 volts.Stress tested for 3 hours came out fine.I know my vols are a little off right now i'm sure you could hit that number at stock 1.4 but i'm slowly increaseing the multiplyer to see where i can get to a stable level.Went to 3.9 @ 1.45 volts but after an 1 hour of stress testing it crashed.Just got to find to poitent mix that will actually work.

EDIT:Temps are 33c idle and 55 load after 3 hours of stability testing.3.8ghz@1.450volts

Even only using the CPU multiplier you need to take manual control of the vCore.

19x200MHz should ease in at 1.35 to 1.4v. That gives you more headroom to move higher with the multiplier if you so choose.

Above 1.45v you will not be able to hold 55c even if you could boot up -- the temps will climb at load until yah gotta shut her down.

And the other guy needs to drop his HT link speed back to the 2000MHz range if he can. 2450MHz is too much and provides no boost in performance.

Though it's amazin' that a motherboard that is 3+ years old like that MSI 790FX can run a PhII965BE, much less OC it to 3.7GHz+