Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2009 6:18:52 AM

Decided it was time for an upgrade so I bought an i7 860, some RAM and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P. I have had the machine setup for a few days and all has been well. Got everything installed happily.

Today, I come back after lunch and the machine is running and there is no video. I reboot, nothing.

I removed every plug and connector except power and video. Nothing. No video, no beeps, nothing.

I tried switching and reseating RAM, nothing.

Can anyone give me some insight into what might be wrong or what I can try next?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 12:45:15 PM

Try building outside the case with cpu, beeper and power. Listen for beeps.
Keep adding components and listening for beeps. When you get no beeps there is the problem.
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 1:22:27 PM

Are you getting 'phase LEDs' on the MOBO when you try to power up? Do you have a case speaker installed? (I've run into lots of people who expect the 'bootup beeps' to come through their Log1 5.1 speakers on the audio plugs - don' work that way!) Does the CPU fan spin at all?
m
l
September 18, 2009 6:35:44 PM

bilbat said:
Are you getting 'phase LEDs' on the MOBO when you try to power up? Do you have a case speaker installed? (I've run into lots of people who expect the 'bootup beeps' to come through their Log1 5.1 speakers on the audio plugs - don' work that way!) Does the CPU fan spin at all?

No LED's are lighting up. The manual says that they have to be turned on in the BIOS. I do have a case speaker hooked up. I pulled it out of another case. The CPU fan spins briefly then stops, the rest of the case fans stay on.

evongugg said:
Try building outside the case with cpu, beeper and power. Listen for beeps.
Keep adding components and listening for beeps. When you get no beeps there is the problem.

OK, I will try this next.

Maybe I will pull the HSF off too and see if there is anything interesting going under there.

I also think it is strange that it ran for two days without issue.
m
l
September 18, 2009 10:21:02 PM

OK, so I pulled the MB out and hooked it up with a different power supply and it worked.

Then I pulled the case over and hooked it up that way and it worked.

Then I put the board back in the case and it worked.

Then I hooked the components up one at a time and it worked every time.

Right now it is setup and working but I am still concerned because I haven't really changed anything and it is working.

Is there anything I should be checking?
m
l
September 19, 2009 2:46:36 AM

I have a GA-EP45, and i had a similar problem...my conclusion: something was making a short-circuit, because, with all components outside the case it worked. I believe that the boards with 2 oz cooper are more likelly to have this kind of problem, because the extra cooper conducts more eletricity...

What i have done to solve the problem: i have used a non-conductive material to isolate the case from the motherboard( i put only on the mounting holes)...

Sorry my bad english...

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 19, 2009 11:53:07 PM

Quote:
I believe that the boards with 2 oz copper are more likely to have this kind of problem, because the extra copper conducts more electricity...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
July 10, 2010 2:41:55 AM

I am very late with a response, however, this may help someone else.

bilbat may have been a little abrasive laugh gifs, however, he is correct in that is not extra copper. The problem is a ground however, and ricbst was wise in trying to eliminate that threat.

Some motherboards induced a ground at various locations, one of which was along the back of the case. Although recently manufactured motherboards should not have a closed circuit problem, recently there was a danger.

Years ago ground protectors [for screws] used to be supplied with the motherboard, however, that is no longer done. I go to the extreme of making extra non-conductive standoffs to support motherboards.
m
l
!