Best Bang for your Buck Heatsink or Liquid Cooling?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Corsair H70 Water cool unit. It's very simple to install and self contained, no mess with filling anything, priming pumps, etc. etc. I'm running a QX9770 @ 4 Ghz without a single problem -- Prime95, OCCT, 3DVantage, etc. etc. - rock solid results with 1600Mhz bus. It's about $100 for the H70.

I've done many cooling methods over the years with some of the very earliest Koolance water cooling systems to my own dual pump home brew TEC setup, but the complexity and heat those systems produced (dual power supplies etc. etc.) it just wasn't worth it for a 200-400 Mhz CPU increase over what I run with the H70.

One of the MOST important aspects of the H70 (and why I think it's very superior to any prior method I used) is how the CPU block is attached to the CPU. The H70 distributes the pressure over many many more contact points providing a very solid and even distribution. I think this is why the H70 does so well for such a low cost solution.

I just read a review on the Xigmatek Aegir and it looks really good,air flow is phenominal, priced only at$60-$70 which is right up my alley.

Where could i find one? I don't see any on newegg.com

EDIT:I did find one on newegg but it has no picture and it is priced at $80.

Is it better than liquid cooling? or would a liquid cooling system perform better for the same price?

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

its new maybe havent arrived yet to newegg, i think its better than a liquid cooling
in long term because u dont have to buy coolant :)

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

If you can fit this thing in your case I would say go for it,make sure is going to clear the RAM
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

My mobo is on the list and if i have to i can move my 2 sticks of ram over to the other 2 slots away from it.

But i was trying to make a point,the heatsink he reccomened is $10 cheaper than the Noctua NH-D14,so i don't see why you wouldn't spend $10 more dollars for that.
Still trying to keep my budget below $70,i'm still searching for the bang for buck deal.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
the Scythe Mugen 2 in previous post is cheaper
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=buy+Scythe+Mugen+2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11272092000892312206&ei=5ccDTZ_vJIinnQfHnOzlDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAg#
but if you looking to hit 4.0 you would need high end heatsink and they don't come cheap

Please read the links i provided you in the other thread about overclocking and then some

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

the noctua could brake your mobo to huge lol

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I reached 3.7(but it overheated) without using the HT multiplyer so i think it could be done withought uping the voltage.
I will look into it

How are you sure it overheated and shut down? I'd be willing to bet it was unstable and shut down. Overclocking failures are rarely due to heat; 99% of the time OC failures are due to hardware limitations (chip just can't go that high, RAM isn't allowing FSB clocks, etc) or that you have voltages incorrect for the clocks you are pushing either on the CPU or on the FSB...depending on how your board clocks.

temps reach 65c under a load when i'm just gaming,although i wasn't looking at the temp when it shutdown i could only guess that it was very high(i was using the auto clock tool within AMD Overdrive when that happened)

I have read many,many reviews of people successfully O.C.ing the 965 to 3.9ghz and some with very good coolers have reached 4.0ghz

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Auto clock in Overdrive will shut your system down. When you restart/ reopen AMD OD, the last "good" o.c. level will be displayed in "auto-clock".
Not a good way to O.C., but the readings will give you an idea of where you can start with bios settings.
By the way, check out Cooler Master N520. Fits in a small tower.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Just because other people have reached those clocks, doesn't necessarily mean you will, too. Hardware is different, and depending on the system as a whole, you might have completely different results.

Considering you were using GUI based tools to clock your CPU/board, i'd say that is part of your problem. All good, solid OC's come from BIOS clocking, testing and setting values.