OCZ GameXStream 850w for GTX 275 SLI

xsistor

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Hi

this is the PSU I'm considering. OCZ GameXStream 850w PSU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124736

will this PSU work well for a system with the following features:

XFX 780i SLI board
Core 2 Quad Q9550 +Akasa AK-967
1150 MHz OCZ Reaper RAM
GTX 275 SLI
CM Storm Scout

+ Overclocking

thanks. If this PSU isn't very good for the job, could you please recommend a PSU below £90 from ebuyer or scan.co.uk that will do the trick? Thanks.

xsistor

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
sorry about quadruple posting. the site is bugged. it kept saying that the site is down when i clicked on submit post. so i kept doing it every few mins. and then just decided to forget about posting, came back to the forum and found 4 duplicate posts... DOH!

OCZ is a decent brand, and the power is there(850w), but I am concerned as to why it only has 2 pci- connectors. You will have to use adapters to get to the 4 total that the 2 gtx275's will need.

I think I would look at corsair, antec, or seasonic. A 750watt unit with the required 4 connctors should suffice.

That OCZ is an old model but if it was manufactured within the last year or so, I'd guess it was probably made by PC Power & Cooling, owned by OCZ. That would be a good thing.

It has the connectors you need. Each pair of 12V PCIe connectors is on its own 20A (240W) rail which covers a 275's 219W Max Power draw. Claimed efficiency is 85% according to company specs. This assumes all current specs match the psu you are buying (date of manufacture).

EDIT: Big WHOOPS! The specs on the page YOU linked do not match current manufacturer specs. Maybe you are getting an older version?

Here's another psu that can do the job, with all 12V power coming from a single 70A (840W) rail from a manufacturer with a very strong reputation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

It's claimed efficency is 80%+ and it sells for the roughly the same price as Newegg listed the OCZ.

PCP&C is like most other companies out there, they use a couple of different oems for thier units, and they're not the same as the one's used in the OCZ unit's.