Somone help me..please....im going to freak out...

dreamtrog

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
My pc will not boot...well it might be.. but there is no picture going to screen..monitor flashes no signal output.. so i tried a ton of different cables...such as vga dvi hdmi.. and i know its not the monitor because ...im using it with my laptop..as i type. Anyways I initially thought it was the motherboard (k9a2) Plat so since i have just gotten it i rma'd it to newegg and got a new one.. same issue.. then i was like hmmmn..so i bought a new cpu( Amd 2.8 GHZ Phenom 2 X3) and..still nothing (mind you I have a xerotherm heatsink on it) ALL LIGHTS ARE ON AND ALL FANS ARE SPINNING....then i purchased a new gpu (sapphire radeon 4870X1 1gb ddr5) and i know that works because we put it in my rommies computerto test it and it looks...well lets say it was worth the money. So then someone on a forum somewhere told me my psu was very inadequate so i upgraded to CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified.. and its 5 stars with over 800 ratings so im pretty sure it works..
o and i have 4gb a-data ddr2 ram. but i tested that too and it works,,

1. I have already reset/cleared cmos even bought a new cmos battery for giggles..
2. I have unplugged all non-essential peripherals
3. I cant exactly check bios or anything in that manner because I get no picture to my screen to even entertain the notion
4. Everything is new and works...I mean I cant figure it out. Every friggin light and fan works..the case is icy!
5. Not that the jumpers have anything to do with it since mobo has manual starter on it.. but they are all hooked up.
6. I am so frusterated.. i have spent ...hours if not days in forums tryin to figure it out...and i failed

I appreciate any imput thanks guys!

Sean

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
First off the bios needs to be the latest bios released on 01/2009 as a prior bios will not support that specific CPU and without knowing the exact memory module that you have, it is possible that there is a voltage issue with it as well.... This is only a couple of the possibilities and there are several more as well.......

A manufacture date on the board is a clue to the date of the bios as well as the version #of the board. They also have a V2 out now and that tells me that if you board is a V1 and not a V2 that there is a high probability that the CPU you are trying to use in this board is not supported without a bios flash.....

Try an older supported cpu to see if this is the case..... just a thought....

dreamtrog

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
1) thank you for responding
2. How can i update bios with no screen with which to do it.. but i will agree that the bios probobly needs updating..how can I check for a voltage issue?..
3. here is a complete list of all ym ...stuff.

# AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail46128715

# CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail44269257 (N82E16813130136)

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K

ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well I would see what version of the board that I had... This is usually marked on the board after the model # of the board either on the board or the box.... if your board is a revision 1 then the 6400+ processor should work and be supported without a hitch as the original bios supports it.. (As well as the V2 board) and you should be able to boot (If the CPU support is the problem) and see what bios version that you have.... As far as flashing the bios I would suggest that you go to the MSI site and get your info there as all you will need is there.

After checking out the memory it is JDEC compliant and the stock DDR2 voltage of 1.8 is the requirement of your sticks.....@800MHz