Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Default CPU Heatsink enough?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 11, 2010 3:21:04 PM

I was just wondering if a default cpu heatsink that came with my processor is enough for my rigg I don't know why it wouldn't but I want to make sure I had a zalman on it for the longest time, but now that I need to reapply thermal paste which I can't find where I put for the life of me, I though It might be easier to just throw the cpu one.

Asus P5N (not sure the rest) motherboard.
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz
2GB ram
Nvida Geforce 8800 GTS

More about : default cpu heatsink

December 11, 2010 5:59:52 PM

So you prefer OCZ Freeze? The test I saw confirmed that with it a tenth of a degree behind the TIM Consultants grease and a degree ahead of the Arctic Silver5 and without AS5s long breakin(which begs the question does AS5 eventually come out on top?). Test was about a year old now though....
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2010 6:50:15 PM

Ok guys focus. Last time I checked the default cpu fan had,thermal paste on it no? Also no one answered if the default heatsink would work.
m
l
December 11, 2010 7:00:26 PM

I think your question was answered. You'll have to reapply the TIM. The fan should work AFAIK, don't know your typical usage.
m
l
December 11, 2010 7:18:39 PM

TIM= thermal grease? Why do I still have to reapply when its on the heatsink ihavent used yet?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 7:22:56 PM

Bakuryu42 said:
Ok guys focus. Last time I checked the default cpu fan had,thermal paste on it no? Also no one answered if the default heatsink would work.

yes sir your default cpu fan/heatsink will work ,every time you remove heatsink you will have to reapply new paste
m
l
December 11, 2010 7:27:52 PM

ThermalInterfaceMaterial. If it's sat around for the longest time it may be dried out. Besides the consensus I've read is that the material that comes on a HS is best replaced with a good thermal paste.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2010 7:50:06 PM

Bakuryu42 said:
TIM= thermal grease? Why do I still have to reapply when its on the heatsink ihavent used yet?

yes TIM =thermal grease,paste, it's all the same thing if you have your default heatsink and never been used with the TIM on it take of plastic cover and touch it..if it's solid dry ,you would have to scrub/remove and clean it with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and reapply new TIM
December 28, 2010 1:42:08 PM

Best answer selected by Bakuryu42.
m
l
!