Reducing fan speed

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I have an old Mad Dog slot cooler from my old Prescott system, and I thought it might come in handy sticking it next to my graphics card in a system I just built. If you look at these specs, you'll see it runs a bit noisy, and I was thinking of slowing it down to somewhere between 50-66%, using something like the cables supplied with a Noctua NH-D14. I know airflow will go down quite a bit, but it's just some auxiliary airflow for the graphics card, which is a basic MSI R4350.

Does anyone know what size resistors would do this for ~50% and/or ~66%? I would imagine a series connection vs parallel is needed. How bout using a trimmer pot? What spec for the pot would I need? Series? Parallel? Does it matter?

Thanks for any info on this.

It's a great idea to add supplementary cooling to any Graphics card. Radio shack may have a trim pot suitable for 0.5 amp devices.

Another option is to look into some cooling products that come with speed control, like this one: http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com/product_info.php?products_id=312

Just use the speed control for your application and save the fan for some other application - of course, you will need to salvage a connector for the fan.

Solution