Sign in with
Your question

Help with a new liquid cooling solution

Last response: in Overclocking
December 11, 2010 7:53:03 PM

Hello,

Im just new to the liquid cooling world, so I apprciate any comments or recommendations you can give to me...

This is my system:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (internal support for 3x120mm radiator)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.8Ghz (I wanto to overclock to 4.5Ghz - 1.42V)
Video: 2x EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Cooper 2 (3/8" barbs) (manufactured liquid cooling) (not installed yet)

---------------

I want to be sure the cooling system I am bulding, have enough power to work correctly with my system.
The other thing I want is to install it internal to my case and to be as quiet as possible.

This is my product selection:
(I am using a complete Koolance solution, but I can change if there is a better choice)

-----------------------

CPU Water Block:

1x CPU-360 CPU-360 (CPU), Rev1.2
1x NZL-V10BP Nozzle Pair, Barb [For ID: 10mm (3/8")]

Radiator:

1x HX-CU1020V Radiator, 3x120mm, Copper (High Flow)
3x FAN-12025HBK Fan, 120x25mm (FAN-12025HBK)
1x CBL-NX006P 4-Fan Wiring Harness, 3-Pin

Pump and Resorvoir:

1x RP-1000BK Reservoir and Pump, RP-1000BK, Black

Tubing and Coolant:

15x HOS-10OR Tubing, Orange UV-Reactive PVC, 1ft/30.5cm [ID: 10mm (3/8"); OD: 13mm (1/2")]
1x LIQ-702RD-B Liquid Coolant Bottle, High-Performance, 700mL (UV Red)
1x VLV-10TSPL Drain Valve [ID: 10mm (3/8")]

SLI Adapter:

1x CNT-VDA34 Dual VID Connector, Adjustable 2-3 Slot Spacing

Other Questions:

I am using, barb nozzles, will be better to use compression fittings???
Would be better to use a serial or a parallel loop???

Thanks for your help again.

February 20, 2011 4:06:09 AM

Hello, I just have a suggestion for the radiator. If you don't mind "Do it Yourself" you should look into heater cores instead of Radiators, they are cheap and cool better than PC water cooling Radiators. My favorite for water cooling is the 1977 Bonneville Heater core. They sell for $25 new and way less used. Just a suggestion, hope it helps a little.
m
l
March 5, 2011 5:01:05 AM

I would sugest using compression fittings, much easier to use and have built-in clamping system. I have found several problems with barbs.

1. Must be clamped but often the clamps are hard to get on and many clamps are not reusable. Using cable ties as clamps helps but then cable ties are not reusable for obvous reasons.
2. Often difficult to slide the hose over the end of the barb. Using very flexible hose will help.
3. Difficult or impossible to remove the hose from the barb.

If you use barbs you will likely have to remove at least one or two at some point. When I have had to remove one the only way I could get it off was to slit the hose along the barb and then pull it loose. Each time the hose gets shorter and if you have used the shortest hose possible you will probably end up replacing it (neccesitating removing the other end the same way). Doing so could damage the barb causing increased potential for leaks (very scary).

Compression fittings are designed differently and, while they do damage the hose slightly, they are not as likely to cause a puncture unless you use a wrench to torc the nuts down very tight. (Obviously, DON'T Use a wrench to torc the nuts. Finger tight is good enough).

Since you are using Koolance parts, here is a suggestion for good compression fittings: NZL-V10 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p....
m
l
!