How much difference does RAM actually make?

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster. I was just wondering about RAM, and how much difference it really makes to buy somethin flash looking and shiny like the OCZ performance series (Dominator etc), or just value DDR3 ram. When upgrading a system I think it is important to know, as things like GPU and CPU obviously make a big difference, but as long as you have 6gb of DDR3, does it really matter of the make? I mean, there's no make so good that 5gb of it would be better than 6gb of value RAM, right? In my opinion, there can only be tiny differences, if benchmarked.

For example, if we look at this article http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/memory-module-upgrade,review-31549.html we can see that any amount more than 6gb makes pretty much no difference, even though PC vendors still attempt to sell us 'extreme' systems such as gaming rigs that have 24gb of ram in them! For people like us, we are too knowledgable to waste money on that kind of system, which is why I reckon we're also too knowledgable to be sucked into RAM that has a snazzy looking gold heatsink on it.

What's everyone's opinion? For reference, I was thinking of upgrading to an AM3 mobo with a Phenom II x4 965. But that's not certain yet.

I didn't notice any difference in performance between pc5300 and pc6400. I think it has to do with the default cas number. The higher the memory speed, the higher the cas number. Lower cas numbers are better for performance, so go figure. And too many folks complain that they can't run their premium memory at the stated timings on certain motherboards. So, if you're going to pay a premium for memory, do your homework for your particular board. Some newegg reviews will give you info about a particular board's memory speed. Some boards will run at the higher speed at default; some have to be set manually.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I understand what you mean o1die, and I will do my homework (this is part of it :D ) but what I mean is, even though choosing a CPU for example will make a BIG difference to your machine's performance... it seems to me that different RAM will only make a tiny and perhaps undetectable difference. If this is the case, it doesn't justify the 2x or 3x increase we'd be paying for brand name 'high performance' memory.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008

Thats exactly my opinion. I believe the top-spec top-price modules are for extreme overclockers and people with too much money and not enough knowledge. Ok, fast memory might help if you do things that put ram on constant load, but I dont, so the only two things that i care about when it comes to memory is low voltage and lifetime warranty.

Have a look here, its a good read http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3589