Artic Silver 5 & Hyper 212 issues

nosnitrousx

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hi guys!
I´m new on the forum, but have been reading reviews and opinions from this site for a whiiiiile.

I got my new system 3 weeks ago, I´m running:
- Phenom II 940.
- Crucial Ballistix 800Mhz.
- Gigabyte 790X-UD4P.
- Gtx 280 SC edition.
- Hyper 212 CPU cooler.
- Corsair 750w PSU

I´ve mounted the hyper 212 from a ground install, never tried the stock HSF that came with the CPU, everything was running ok, between 3,2Ghz and 3,5Ghz (stable) with temps around 39°-40° Idle and 54°-56° Load (°C) - room temp around 25-26° - I thought they were a bit high for an aftermarket cooler (being the CPU limit 62°) so I purchased Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, I removed the paste that came with the cooler and applied this one (x shaped application, not too much, not too little ,you know), after everything was assembled again the system was not starting, not even showed the BIOS screen, checked PSU, VGA, RAM in another rig, and everything worked perfect, also short the CMOS button of the MOBO, and still the same. So (for the first time) mounted the stock Phenom HSF and AS5 an system runned ok. Again, I removed the stock cooler and put on the Hyper 212, and the same issue happened: system wasn´t starting! So I removed the AS5 and put again the stock paste, and "voilá", system started perfectly.

(Also applied the AS5 on a C2D E7200 and worked perfectly)

Have this happened to you guys??? what this could be for???....don´t know really which one to blame: the H212 or the AS5!! jaja

Thanks in advance guys!
Regards from Venezuela!

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey nos, it's possible that when you applied the Artic thermal paste, you might have damaged the third-party cooler in some way, or accidentally kept it from working properly. The PC won't boot if it detects that the CPU fun isn't running properly, for its own sake.

nosnitrousx

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I don´t think it was a bad installation ´cause I´ve mounted it 3 times...jaja, but it could be...but only didn´t work when there was AS5 applied?? funny thing....

Maybe AS5 is actually conductive, and was making some kind of short with the metal components of the heatsink...or maybe the sum of Phenom II + Hyper 212 + AS5 turns out incompatible....who knows....

Anyway...with the stock cooler paste is running fine and I´ll leave it that way for a while...

Thanks Ton and Evo for your answers

P.D.: 1st post: "runned"!! :S :S:S, sorry!! "RAN"...maybe I had too much Arctic Silver making short in my brain at the moment!

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Ah Venezuela, some of my friends have just spend 6 months working out there and had a fantastic time ^^

good cooler btw

Was my choice too combined with AS5 for my Q6600
- made 3.6GHz prime stable with that.

Yea, you are right AS5 is quite conductive and you have to be careful not to get on any electrical circuits
though it seems odd to has so many issues

When you swapped things around did you have to wipe off a lot of excess AS5, if not I am a bit baffled on this one lol

Be sure to make sure it does not squidge over the side of the CPU IHS (or Integrated Heat Spreader -- bit H212 sits on) and touch any electrical connections

is No way AS5 can damage this cooler, is nothing near the base to damage.

When I apply the AS5 i make a thin even covering over the IHS that is just right, then carefully mount the HSF. This way I am sure is covered right and won' be any excess squidging out.

Good Luck.