Sign in with
Your question

Do you have a working motherboard at least 4 years old?

Last response: in Motherboards

Do you have a working motherboard that has seen 4 years service?

Total: 69 votes (18 blank votes)

• Asus
  • 43 %
  • Gigabyte
  • 9 %
  • MSI
  • 11 %
  • ASRock
  • 4 %
  • Biostar
  • 2 %
  • ECS
  • 4 %
  • Foxconn
  • 0 %
  • Intel
  • 17 %
  • DFI
  • 7 %
  • NO I have never used a motherboard for 4 years.
  • 7 %
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 3:49:17 PM

To respond to this poll, you must have had a FULLY functional motherboard that has seen continuous use for the past 4 years. By continuous is meant seeing weekly use and not sitting in a closet for two years :p 

I want to know the BRAND, or if you have never had one go 4 years vote no.

If your brand does not appear, please let me know... max answers are 10 so I missed a few.
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 5:29:37 PM

If you are looking for brand longevity, it's hard to tell. Almost all board makers outsource some of their boards. Each new board will vary in longevity according to design, power supply used, and features.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 8:08:58 PM

o1die said:
...Almost all board makers outsource some of their boards....

That surprises me actually.

I talk to various builders to get a sense of reliability, but I thought I would see what results are here. Pretty much any source you use to get this kind of data will be biased or skewed by various factors.

There is of course one place that would have some fantastic data on first month failures.... newegg. Not in their best interest to release that info, sadly.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 9:50:27 PM

Actually, I have three systems that are 5+ years old that are working fine, but I voted for Intel because until last month that was my main XP system which has been going strong for 8-12 hours per day every day for over 6 years.

There's not really a lot to go wrong with motherboards as long as you don't zap them with questionable power or fry them with questionable cooling.
a c 156 V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:02:41 PM

The problem with first month failures at newegg is that you do not know if the board was truly defective or if the buyer ... well, I'll be polite and say ... improperly assembled the computer or misdiagnosed a no boot fault.

My workhorse machine has an AOpen AK77-8X motherboard with an Athlon XP2400+ CPU (real speed 2.00 GHz) that is 5 1/2 years old. I'm in the process of moving everything to a Q6600 system.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:07:09 PM

Actually I have an Intel board (Dell) that has been working flawless since 1999...My niece still uses it to this date for surfing the net and messing around with "Paint" .....
September 18, 2009 10:09:51 PM

I have a motherboard from Asus I believe it is still working from 2001. Being used pretty continuosly. 3.0ghz P4 on the board.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:12:04 PM

Proximon said:
That surprises me actually.

I talk to various builders to get a sense of reliability, but I thought I would see what results are here. Pretty much any source you use to get this kind of data will be biased or skewed by various factors.

There is of course one place that would have some fantastic data on first month failures.... newegg. Not in their best interest to release that info, sadly.

I have a buddy that works over at Neweggs RMA dept and he states that most RMA'ed boards were either zapped or misshandled by the owner from the get-go... So that is one reason you cannot rely on their reviews...
September 18, 2009 10:15:25 PM

2 Intel 875PBZ's and one Intel SX440BX-3. The SX440 is circa 1999.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:15:28 PM

Asus A8N-SLI Premiium, now working as my server board, great board, has 8 internal sata ports
September 18, 2009 10:24:16 PM

Polling consumers is stupid. Poll companies that have programs running on decades-old computers continuously since they were purchased. I've worked for 3 chemical manufacturing companies (4 sites total) and many have computers that have run for 10 years+ to control processes, equipment, instruments, etc. Most of those are prebuilt Dells, Lenovo, IBM, and HP machines (with the exception of the graphic worlds running Macs, Silicon Graphics, Sun, etc systems).
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:26:21 PM

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
ABIT NF8
Generic ECS socket 478 VIA w/2.5 Northwood
Epox EP-8NPA SLI 754

With the exception of the ASUS socket A and the recently retired socket 478, these boards run every day and perfectly. I have much older boards than these still running perfectly, but not every day.

Also 3 1/2 years running every day ASUS 945G w/Pentium D 805
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:48:09 PM

This is interesting. Objections noted. Perhaps I should ask who has had a board that died early.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 10:50:43 PM

A couple of Gigadud's died on me. RMA'd a couple of MSI's also.
September 18, 2009 10:52:00 PM

I've had a number of boards that limped along for 4 years but developed hardware problems that could have been critical. Chipset fans dying left and right with ASUS, and all kinds of odd problems with MSI boards (fried agp slot and floppy header). Nothing that completely killed the system, but enough to cripple them somewhat. And one scary moment when I saw smoke coming out of the case due to a shorted case speaker lead wire (not sure if it was the speaker or the ASUS board in that case). Fortunately the wire burned clean through before it could start anything else on fire! I have a pentium 2 Gateway that still works perfectly, but is rarely plugged in.
September 18, 2009 11:10:31 PM

I have a few motherboards that have lasted well over 4 years, two of which are biostar socket A motherboards which are still running in some friends parents computers, I believe they are using the XP2600 and the XP2400 in them, until recently there was a comp running an old ABIT socket A motherboard using an Athlon 1400 I believe, and heck the laptop I'm using now is over 4 years old...I really need a new computer, so expect to see a build post from me in the next week or two!

Here are the biostar models

M7NCD Pro
M7VIT (I believe I had two of these and one very recently died)

The longevity of these motherboards is probably why I still like biostar so much, though I am unsure as to how they stack up against the competition now but back then they made some really solid motherboards.

The ABIT I think was the KG7 but I haven't looked at that one in a while, and the laptop I'm using is an Inspiron 9300, which I got in July of 2005, was an awesome laptop for a while...now it's just falling apart haha but the motherboard in it still works and you didn't specify if it had to be a desktop board or not =)
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 11:22:48 PM

im on a km4mv socket a, bought this baby with a athlon 2600+, the proc failed due to user stupidity, (user=me) been running since maybe 2003 24/7 now using sempron 2600+
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 11:40:35 PM

Yea a pile of boards and some good while a few were pure crap.
One asus P5A the very first one super 7
one gigabyte slot 1
dfi super 7 still in use with a k6-2 for old glide games getting a upgrade this weekend
The others I don't know the bards but all together for years of use totaled up is probably 30-75 years (added all together.
September 20, 2009 1:15:54 AM

the board I'm on right now (ABIT IT7MAX/P4 2.4ghz.) has been in daily use since 2002. You didn't list abit so I chose Intel, as it is an Intel platform i845E/ICH4. Have upgraded it constantly over the years with more ram, better AGP graphics cards, additional HDs etc. It is still running strong, but like myself, is starting to show its age. Being my first build, I would have to say, 'extremely satisfied'!
September 20, 2009 3:37:06 AM

I have a VIA K8M800 mobo.

Not sure how long I have had it, but its been something like 4 years, and it still works fine.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2009 7:46:12 AM

I have been using Asus p5ld2-vm for I think four years with an OC on a pent D945 with only stock cooling. Never had an issue with the board.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2009 9:26:20 AM

I have the the same ASUS P5LD2-VM 945G running for about a long. As micro boards of that era go, it is very good. Just wish it was a version 2 and supported early C2D's. Have a Pentium D 925 currently and ran a Pentium D 805 OC'd for a long time. Use it every day. In fact, bought a movable computer cart this evening to move it around the office. I like the micro builds I have around the office. ASUS often ends up making some of the top, nicer boards of each era or generation.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2009 11:32:29 AM

I have Asus P3V4x over 7 yrs old, still works fine with OCd coppermine celeron. Ok, its been used very little in past 3-4 yrs(probably booted once a week) but before that it was on pretty much 24/7.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2009 8:03:05 PM

Asus has been very popular for a long time, but I have to think this at least indicates they are as reliable as any others.
September 21, 2009 9:41:17 AM

Asus P4P800 SE still working with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ... Epic
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2009 12:20:17 PM

Well, my PC that shipped with Windows 3.1 is still going strong; I upgraded it back in the mid 90's to run on a Pentium (333 MHz) and a GeForce2 MX 400, so whatever the mobo is, its still going strong.
September 22, 2009 2:24:04 AM

i think my board is about 6 years old maybe older, its been running about 4-5 hours a day for about 6 1/2 years. still using it atm but plan up upgrading to 1156 system soon.

my current board wasnt even a expensive asus board, it was a midrange one. Its the P4S8X and ive never had one problem with it. Also ive been overclocking it for about 6 years my P4 2.8ghz(533fsb) to 3.2ghz for the last 6 years. Im pretty much sold on asus for life.

The only other motherboards i have owned where ECS and both of those pieces of junk lasted less than 5 months each.
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 6:56:00 AM

Interesting, mpavao81. Have you been using the same PSU for all that time?
September 22, 2009 2:08:17 PM

actually i have, i did replace it about a year before i got my asus board though.
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 2:21:17 PM

If reliability is the concern: Buy an Intel board, and run it at stock speeds.
September 22, 2009 3:17:37 PM

i have an ASUS P4B533 motherboard...and it still work as new motherboard, maybe just the PSU that going to die
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 8:33:58 PM

Are you looking for homebuilt gaming systems only, or business desktops?

Almost every business desktop I have dealt with gets replaced while the motherboard is still working. Its almost always the PSU or HDD that dies first. If it wasnt a problem motherboard from the first install, it almost always runs fine longer than other components. One motherboard died from a capacitor frying after a couple years (pretty sure it was an ASUS), other than they they get tossed for a new system every 3-7 years with the motherboard running fine.
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 11:25:52 PM

What would the difference be between the office system and homebuilt gaming rig?

Power requirements and GPU I guess, and also the heat connected to those. Office environments often have better controlled temps also.

I know when you look at PSUs, at least in years past, the smaller wattage units seemed to perform better. I believe the old designs with the heavy 3.3V rail were perhaps better suited to an office PC.
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2009 11:48:38 PM

Proximon said:
What would the difference be between the office system and homebuilt gaming rig?

I was thinking- office systems get no overclocking and maybe get opened up for a dusting once a year. Personal home built gaming systems tend to get fiddled with alot more. They are more likely to have to deal with being run over voltage and are also more likely to be in rooms with poorer electricity and environmental conditions.

The most common thing that dies in office desktops is the power supply fan. If its a 4+ year old computer that usually means it gets replaced. If its newer you slap in another $20 PoS PSU. Its more expensive to replace the fan than to buy a new PSU.

From all the answers, maybe it would be more useful to ask how many motherboards from which manufacturer died instead of how many lasted more than 4 years. From my experience motherboards that survive a burn-in tend to last until the PC is replaced for other reasons.
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2009 12:22:08 AM

When I worked as a system administrator at an Air Force base, we had IBM XTs and ATs still used in manufacturing controllers. So that made them almost 20 yrs old.

I just retired an AOpen AK77-400N that I bought used and ran for almost 3 yrs. It was used for at least 4 yrs before that.
!