New XP Pro AMD Computer from hell. Makes it's own passwords HELP!

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hi,

I just built a new computer. During XP Pro install you have to put in one user name so I did with no password. All going well.. NOT. Have been updating drivers, SP2, SP3, etc. Install Firewall, restart and it asks for password. I have never made a password. Try all the default usual ones and nothing. Won't start Windows XP Pro. Shut down and wait a few mins. Start back up asks for password click with blank as password and Windows starts. Upgrade some more things. Install few things. Restart and asks for password. Hit blank and says "Don't have password for restricted account." Shut down, wait, reboot and same thing. 4th try reboot and asks for password press on blank and Windows starts.

One idea I had was to create a password at least so I know what it is then delete it. Another option is to run "Repair" from XP disk but I'm weary to do that since it's such an old disk.

It's possessed... HELP PLEASE

If you never put in a password then you must be doing something really weird, or you got a virus. First, when you boot up press F8 to boot into safe mode. From there you can go into the administrator account. Turn off the guest account and delete any sub accounts there may be. Create a new administrator account with the name of your choice and there you go. If your Admin account has a password for some reason then google "Trinity Rescue Kit" and download it. Burn that to a CD and follow the instructions to get rid of the admin password. Trying to change the password to something else doesn't always work right ^_^.

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hey thx... Just to clarify a few things the guest account is off. When it does let me in its in the admin account which is the only account on it. I just have to shut it down wait a min reboot and keep trying till it lets me in. No virus, I ran Housecall and Comodo, found nothing. Once i get in I'm not sure I can delete the admin account? Or the only user on the machine that is the admin?

Don't need Trinity because eventually it will let me in. Any thoughts on it being a voltage issue? There is a new bios but haven't installed it yet. Shouldn't have anything to do with the bios but it's not the norm for this to happen.

Thanks for your help,

Well, trinity can remove the password completely on the "Administrator" account. Yeah I would try just logging into the Administrator account and deleting every other account. From there make a new admin account and you should be good.