Thermal Compound on Pins; Cleaned with Isopropyl

ks2r5

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi everyone! I ran into a bit of a snag last night when I accidentally knocked some thermal paste from the heat sink I was removing onto the pins in the cpu socket on my gigabyte ex58-ud4p. I cleaned it with some 91% isopropyl and some small paint brushes until I couldn't see anymore goop, however (first time builder here) I'm concerned that something crazy might happen when I finally turn the computer on. (The paste was Tuniq TX-2, which is supposedly non-electrically conductive...)

Are there any sort of signs I should look out for when I turn on the computer (i.e. smoke, fire, a sudden horrible death)? Also, should I disconnect everything except the cpu, heat sink, and memory in case it short circuits (so it wont take anything else out with it)?

I'm freaking out! :pt1cable: Any advice would be much appreciated :3

If you can't see any residue on the cpu pins, then you're ok. The isopropyl alcohol will dry quickly leaving no residue. And the cpu is low voltage, so it won't smoke. Just be sure it installs easily with no force.

ks2r5

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Thanks! I checked it out with one of those sewing magnifying glasses and it looks like there's nothing there; at least not on the pins--it's hard to see if theres anything on the bottom.