Most powerful GPU setup on 620W psu?

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Hi, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my system before I move to Europe.

Since components cost a bunch more over there, I want to upgrade my system as far as I can now.

What is the fastest setup my corsair 620hx power supply can run?

I can run crossfire at 16x and 8x on my motherboard, but not SLI.

Many thanks :)

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Nvidia's website says a minimum of 680W psu for the GTX 295. I know that this recommendation is padded a bit and that the corsair is rated under what it can actually provide, but is this pushing it a little?

Well they just overrate the power requirements...
Check out this...
http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Fill in your config with a 295/4870X2...it gives only about 580W of total power required...

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Thats good to know! Looks like my psu will handle everything even when overclocked :)

Would a GTX 285, GTX 295, or a Radeon 4870x2 be the best value for a 22" LCD? I look forward to playing crysis on very high with AA in any case :)

Well as you have a crossfire mobo I would suggest you get a 4890 for now and later one more in crossfire...that would be a better value than any of the above...
And a single 4890 is suffice for the 22" (BUT NOT FOR CRYSIS :p though you can set some details high to very high)

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I'd rather get something that will last me as long as possible without an upgrade though, since GPUs tend to cost at least 50% more in Finland than in the US. Even more if they're new.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Crysis can become just as dependent upon the CPU as it can on the GPU. It all depends on the eye-candy enabled which of the two becomes the choke point. Sometimes I think it's completely the wrong game to base purchases on.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I agree, and this is part of the reason I have overclocked my processor (and will overclock further in the future). But I do want to be able to play next generation pc games comfortably at their highest settings without needing to think of gpu upgrades.

I recommend you get a single NVidia GTX 275.

Based on your components (especially CPU and PSU) you would have a balanced system which would not need, nor benefit from future upgrades.

Ensure your PSU has the appropriate connectors ( is it 2x6-pin??).

I believe most PSU's have a switch for choosing between NA and European power. Make sure you've switched to the appropriate setting before plugging in overseas or you may have issues. Poof!

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
+1 for GTX 275. It matches the 4890 OC so, if you OC the GTX 275, it will outperform it @ most settings- especially since you have a 22'' Monitor. THe 4890 scales better on larger resolutions, but underperforms on smaller monitors.
Either way, you'll be happy with any of those cards.

Very unlikely.

Keep in mind reviews done comparing these card are done on the lates CPU's such as an i7 940. There's a specific cutoff (which varies by game) at which a better GPU can't provide any performance benefit.

I'm betting you'd be hard pressed to find much benefit out of anything more than a GTX 275 and definitely not worth the price difference.