Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Only Displays in VGA mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2009 7:16:33 AM

Greetings all,

I am currently trying to diagnose my problem I am having with my display. I am using windows xp pro with a nvidia geforce 6600 gt (old I know!) and a XEROX LCD monitor. My problem is that I cannot run anything but VGA mode. This of course means the video card is running the most minimal of settings.

Also, when booting up my computer, I am showing various colored artifacts all over my screen, but they do however go away, if I am in safe or vga mode. I suspect the video card has bit the dust and its time to buy a new one, but I wanted to make sure before I spent the money.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers several times to no avail. This coupled with the artifacts Im showing as windows loads up leads me to believe it is in fact a gpu that is dying. I suppose I am looking for some confirmation before I actually go out and buy a replace. Thanks in advanced,

B.
April 23, 2009 7:20:55 AM

Do you see artifacts at the bios screen? before xp starts?
April 23, 2009 7:46:59 AM

rewindlabs said:
Do you see artifacts at the bios screen? before xp starts?

Yes I do
Related resources
April 23, 2009 7:50:21 AM

That means before XP loads your video drivers your cards is malfunctioning....and you know what that means...

I don't see you being interested in any gaming right?
April 23, 2009 7:59:04 AM

Ha, not really, not with my PC. I game on my 360 quite a bit, but I don't have that much time for pc gaming. Well, if that is the case, guess I'll get a new video card, thanks for the quick responses :D 
a c 376 U Graphics card
April 23, 2009 10:46:30 AM

yeah, sounds like overheating. I had a 6800 die in a similar way.
If you'd still like the option of gaming I'd recommend an HD4650 or HD4670. Both are cheap and adequate for gaming on moderate settings at reasonable resolutions.
April 23, 2009 5:12:38 PM

smileybobs said:
Ha, not really, not with my PC. I game on my 360 quite a bit, but I don't have that much time for pc gaming. Well, if that is the case, guess I'll get a new video card, thanks for the quick responses :D 

Have you checked that there is indeed dust in the heatsink? If there is, you could buy a compressed air canister for about a buck and blow it out, it might prove to be an easy fix.

If that doesn't work, I always find that dead video cards make unique paperweights :) 
!