850w enough for tri sli?

jeong747

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Hi
I was just wondering if 850w power supply (Antec TruePower Quattro 850w model) is enough for running tri sli with gtx 260 (oc'ed)

PC Specs are: Intel C2Q 9550 @ 3.2Ghz / 4gb OCZ Reaper 1800mhz / Evga 790i mobo / antec 902 case / 2 hdds
thanks

Yeah I would think it can be possible, but, like I always tell anyone, if you got the kind of money to go 3-SLI, you got enough to afford a new power supply.

Running at stretched limit power is not a good idea. It will make your system unstable during loads.

From personal experience with my True power Trio 650W, Antec is no better than most. My unit was defective on day one. At least their RMA department is effective in Canada.

jeong747

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
will corsair HX850 be better psu than antec 850w?
corsair's has already 6 pcie pins built in so will that give an edge over using 2 x 2 molex to 1 6pin?

The 1000W Quattro may squeak inside the door of handling that load but not the 850W, Antec advertises it for SLI not 3 way SLI.

JonnyGURU gave the best information for the sufficiency of the power supply for your needs and its simply, if the power supply has all the connectors you need without using adapters its sufficiently designed for the load you'll be applying to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256038

Well when you have sudden unexplained complete crashes in the middle of your favorite game loose all your progress from the last save just remember you were advised not to go with the 850W, because once the crashes begin happening they get closer together until you finally get a power supply that can handle the full load.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Nvidia recommends the Antec 1200 Quatro for 3 way SLI with the 260s, that is if Antec is the way you want to go.

@jeong747

I'm not trying to spend your money jeong, I'm trying to keep you from making the same mistake I did by buying a power supply I was told was OK but was seriously inadequate for the job and in my situation was only supporting 2 way or normal SLI not 3 way SLI.

Check out the Nvidia recommendations as it became necessary for them to post those recommended requirements because of so many failed setups fo people trying to use multi SLI setups under powered.

I hope the best for you! Ryan

leon2006

Distinguished
Attached is anandtech powersupply system measurement for 2x SLI, 3x SLI for your reference.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3518&p=11

If you want to make sure you can do your own measurement and be independent of this published measurements. DO IT YOURSELF...

use a CLAMP AMMETER to measure the actual current on each rail & DIGITAL VOLMETER to measure the actual voltages.

That will give you the actual current and voltages of whatever PS you are using.

Power Watts = I(Amperes) x V(Volts).

You need to factor in the different conditions when making your measurements:

- Current Surge at Power-Up. This is the current surge ~ 150% of the load during power up. This is normal on all CMOS circuits.
- Idle ... No activity after the computer complete the boot up process
- Loaded... For GPU common practice is measurement during 3D-Application or game is running, hard drive activity is high, memory I/O is high...etc.

If you have a logic analyzer you can trigger your measurement at specific conditions of the computer. Condition base measurement becomes more accurate. This can be initiated through computer interupt or software TRAP conditions.

Nvidia and ATI power supply recommendation is to some degree sandbagged. It does not provide details on the actual specific load of the computer. Load condition, what hardware is on the system is very specific to every computer so it varies.

When in doubt do your own measurement.

jeong747

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
1) what would be better psu? a 1000w ultra x3 or corsair hx850w?
i would want to go for 1000w corsair but its a bit of a high jump from 850w.
or would you recommend a non-modular psu
2) does 80plus rating psu save significant amounts of money than psu without such rating?
if not im going for 1000w ultra

You obviously have the money to buy 3 260GTX, so why would you even consider taking a chance powering it all up, I'm sorry I just don't understand that thinking.

Most people don't realize the power requirements of the hardware today until they've had to replace it because of failures, if the least amount of money spent is your Power Supply goal then the link below is my suggestion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171034

However if it was my buy it would be the link below this statement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256038

A 1000W Silverstone is in my SLI gaming rig right now.

@jeong747

Personally I would not buy an Antec power supply for a high end gaming machine.

Why? Because Antec was extremely late to the SLI and Crossfire party, anyone keeping an eye on P/S developement and progression knows in the earlier SLI and CF days Antec was MIA.

While other P/S manufacturers were learning from their mistakes like Fortron, and developing P/Ss that could handle the multiple GPU setups Antec stayed on the sidelines.

IMO buying from a P/S manufacturer thats been on top of SLI and CF setups is definitely the way to go.

Am I completely against Antec?

No!

My wifes computer has an Antec power supply and it serves her purposes just fine, but she is not a 3D gamer.

There will not be an Antec in any of my cutting edge gaming setups, I'm running Silverstone and PCP&C, and I would suggest any major brand thats been on top of SLI and CF, like Thermaltake, Corsair, Coolermaster, Enermax, Etc., and even Fortron because they have learned from their past mistakes and corrected them.

However thats just my personal opinion, and it may not mean a thing to you, or anyone else.