Sign in with
Your question

Help first AMD board no power up

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 11:52:02 PM

I am a noob with amd boards so here I go. I received two Asus boards with CPUs free from a buddy but they don't power up and the fans don't even twitch. M2N-MX (not the se) 1.03g and the older one is a8n-vm csm 1.10gc both are asus.
The CPUs are (am1) athlon64 3700 (ada3700dka5cf) and the other is (am2) athlon64 3500 (ada35001aa4cw). I have tried two different power supplies and one is not an elcheapo unit it is a antec neopower550. I made sure that all connections were properly fitted and double checked the cpu and cleared the cmos on both boards. Any advice for power up and basic testing is appreciated. The am2 might serve well as a wi-fi box for basic web 2.0 stuff, torrents, and wow.

More about : amd board power

September 19, 2009 12:57:29 AM

your friend didn't say there was anything wrong w/ them? usually free means something's wrong :)  stupid question too but i assume you've got a stick of ram in them and all that jazz right? no lights come on or anything?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2009 1:10:36 AM

illegalmonkey said:
your friend didn't say there was anything wrong w/ them? usually free means something's wrong :)  stupid question too but i assume you've got a stick of ram in them and all that jazz right? no lights come on or anything?

The green power indicators did come on and the ram that did come with the am2 board tested fine and even got to 310mhz (ddr2 620) from 266 (533) and stock volts looks new since there is little ware on the pins and the lack of dust. The CPUs look fine no bent pins, no missing pins, no scorch marks. Plus I know what store the cpus came from since they always mark on them in permenant marker plus they test then if they work before they sale. I picked up a load of intel cpus for only $35, two 478, and a pile of 775s that tested fine and all got at least a 500mhz oc when stressed. I did miss that athlon x2 4800 for 939 for their still going $5 a peace cpu sale (all the good ones are gone but I picked up to dual cores. :D  Note that the front panel didn't react to any thing even scraping the screw driver across the pins since a good working intel board would quickly react. :( 
!