Nehalem-EX and Nehalem-EP Inconsistencies? (Speculation)

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
As reported elsewhere on the web, due to process and design improvements the mainstream version of the upcoming Sandy Bridge 32nm CPU should have somewhat improved latencies for the same cache structure as the current Core i7. The 32K L1 cache will be back to 3 cycles, the 256K L2 cache down to 9 cycles, and the 8MB L3 cache at 25 cycles - not bad for a cache shared between four CPU cores at the same time! This is a Core i5 follow-on, the higher end CPUs will have more cores, larger caches and possibly slightly larger latencies.

In summary, there's more to it than the clock numbers alone. Even within the same product family, subsequent steppings may have different design compromises to achieve the desired goals, some of them not widely known. And, as the CPUs become more complex, not just with differently-clocked async parts but also in various generations of "turbo" auto-overclock settings, one clock frequency number won't be sufficient to describe the speed anyway. How about, say, Core i5 XXX, core 3333 MHz, uncore 2667 MHz, turbo 3600 MHz, for instance?
Source
If that's the case, will more people actually start judging CPUs by reference benchmarks, instead of the long-inaccurate clock speed?

The obvious answer is People will interpret, misinterpret, cherry~pick, ignore, create, imagine, twist, tear, fold, spindle, mutilate any and all information available in order to make the "facts" fit their preconcieved notions and personal agenda. :kaola:

Already, we see a wide variety in findings just using i7 in alot of benches. When does turbo kick in? Is it thermally possible on YOUR rig? etc etc.
Better, as always, has once again been redefined