Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't power up

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2009 2:16:20 AM

I have an Asus P5N72-T Premium with a pentium chip. OCZ Powersupply, 500w. 4 gig OCZ ram, and a 9800GT Nvidia graphics card. Runs on Vista. The computer won't power up at all. No fans or anything. Only thing that I can see that has power is the lights on top of the sound card that came with the motherboard and the little red power button that came built into the motherboard. So right away, I think its a power supply issue. I swapped out power supplies and I am experiancing the same issue. Not sure what the issue could be. System has ran fine for about 6 months now without a hickup. Wasn't overclocked or anything, stock heatsink with 2 intake 120mm fans and 2 exhaust 120mm fans.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening?

Thank you for the help

More about : computer power

a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2009 3:13:45 AM

Do you have the power button hooked up to the correct pins on the motherboard? Try removing the power button connector and shorting the pins out with a screwdriver (this is what the power button does when you press it).

If the system powers up, then you've got an issue with the power button, it's wiring or the connector.

If the system doesn't power up, then you may have mis-identified which pins the connector is supposed to be attached to.
m
l
September 19, 2009 3:40:06 AM

I don't think its a switch issue. I unhooked everything and put it back together to make sure everything was seated properly. I have seem to have isolated the situation between the video card or the motherboard pci-e slots and/or the powersupply.

What happens now is, I have the video card in the slot with the powercord plugged into the video card, try to power the system up, nothing. I unplug that power supply chord from the video card everything fires right up. So I figured video card. I swapped it out with another card that I have. Same problem. Tried different pci-e slots and same results both cards. My power supply has the modular cables. I tried swapping out the cord to a different power port and same results. Could this be a problem with the motherboard? Or do you guys think its a power supply issue? Or a mixture of all 3? This system ran for 5-6 months without any problems, then bam. Tried to bring it out of sleep mode and nothing. No power or anything. Was running 30-40 minutes before that no problem.

Edited: I forgot that I had tested another power supply earlier too. Motherboard issue then? Anyone heard of this problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2009 6:38:25 AM

I dunno, if you've swapped everything but the motherboard then it kind of points to the motherboard as being the culprit. Do you have another system that you can try the video cards in?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
September 19, 2009 7:01:12 AM

Boot problems
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

gncsteele said:
I don't think its a switch issue.

Simple way to test the case power switch is to swap the power and reset switches. Then try to boot with the reset switch. I have seen bad case power and reset switches, but never both at the same time

gncsteele said:

What happens now is, I have the video card in the slot with the powercord plugged into the video card, try to power the system up, nothing. I unplug that power supply chord from the video card everything fires right up.

PSU or video card.

gncsteele said:
So I figured video card. I swapped it out with another card that I have. Same problem.

Edited: I forgot that I had tested another power supply earlier too. Motherboard issue then? Anyone heard of this problem?

System specs - including all the parts used for testing?

m
l
!