VPN Problems

dondon

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2004
Hi all.
I was able to setup a one way VPN between my two locations with ADSL.
From Home(WinXP) I can connect to and browse my work computer(W2k) & network through the windows VPN setup.
However when I am connected to the work comp from home I cannot access or ping websites on my home machine.Nor can the other computer on my home network browse the work computer or work network.I have no firewall on either end.
The work Ip address's go from 195.35.0.1(incoming connection pc) to 195.35.0.6
I have assigned the incoming connection from home 195.35.0.18 to 195.35.0.19 and the actual Ip adresses's of the two pc's on the home network are 192.168.1.1(Dial up PC) - 192.168.1.2 all IP's are static including home internet connection (which I'd prefer not to list).
I would be grateful if anyone could shed any bit of light on my
problem.
Thanks

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i dont know that much about vpn as ive never had a use for them. but the way i see it, you shouldnt be able to access anything outside of the vpn. thats what its for, no outside influences and nothing inside gets outside. while your home computer is connected to the vpn server you established at work, you would need another connection point to the rest of the network on the server. or another connection point to your network from your computer. its a virtual PRIVATE network, private is the key word here.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

dondon

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2004
I did a bit more messing with the setting and set up the connection both ways.Configured the routing tables accordingly on both and have solved one of the problems.
I can now access both lans from any computer on either network.However I still cannot get internet access when the out going connections are connected.
So I think I'm just missing a setting somewhere maybe.
I tried changing the dns settings to match my isp both that doesnt work eiter.
I was also talking to a friend of mine before,he said he managed to be able to connect to a vpn and was still able to access the internet but he cannot remember how.
Any idea's?

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
There's a setting in VPN settings on the client along the lines of "Use remote gateway as default". If you uncheck this, you can still use your current internet connection for internet locally while you also have a vpn tunnel to remote site to access lan remotely. Think that's what you're asking(first cup of coffee is sitting next to me untouched so far though, so I may be wrong ;) )

dondon

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks etp777
You can have your coffe now.
That was it.
Working perfectly now.
VPN Problem solved.
Thanks everyone.