Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hi. Just built new pc.
Gigabyte mb
Core i7 920 cpu
3g ddr3 ram
sapphire HD4870 toxic graphics with 1g ram
creative x-fi sound

Problem is when I first turn pc on the boot screen is often scrambled with lines (pre Xp starting) and then the xp boot screen has white squares all over it, then the screen goes off - screen is a LGFlatron W2425TX. If I turn off and restart it then normally boots ok although sometimes I have to reboot 2 or 3 times. Any ideas whats causing this? I've tried both the DVI outs on the graphics card- makes no difference. Thanks for reading

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
It might mean many things. Your PSU might not be sufficient for your system, your mobo might be bad or your gpu might be bad. Any way you can test the GPU out by itself in a different rig? What PSU do you have?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
my guess is that it is an insufficient power supply, the graphics card is overheating, or you got a faulty gpu.

What psu are you using?
Using gpu-z, what is the temp on your gpu?
Have you made sure the monitor works on another computer, and that you have a good dvi cable? (probably not the issue, but better to rule it out)

fill_d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
thanks for comments- I've got a Be Quiet DArk Power Pro 650w. Only happens at boot up once in a while and if it boots ok then everything runs really well, no problems so dont think its temp related. Everythings new so if I can narrow it down to anything I need to return it asap.