Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What raid car should I use? How do i properly setup this RAID Array?

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2010 12:11:17 AM

So here we go! Im building a new gaming rig, I will be using the following part's:
IN WIN Maelstrom Black SECC(0.8~1.0mm) ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
G.SKILL PI + Turbulence II 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Model F3-16000CL6T-6GBPID

Possible HDD and SSD setup:
HighPoint RocketRAID 644 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card <-----> is this a sufficent raid card for what i want to do?
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) <-----> use 1 of these in setup for OS
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive <-----> use 2 of these in setup

So here is the question!! I want to make a raid array that uses the SSD for strictly OS use for boot ups, then i want the 2 WD drives for a RAID0 Array. I have everything setup for sataIII for the 6g transfer rates to be in use, and for the platters to spin at the great speed of 10k RPM. So is this a good setup? is that the correct RAID card for the job? is there another HDD that would be sufficent for the job so i don't need to drop $500 on the HDD's? The most important question...... is this possible and how do i effectivly do this?

As a side note, this is a work in progress as you dont see everything i am going to use IE: Video cards and the what not, if you have any suggestions on parts that are listed or "Should" be listed that you would suggest, please feel free to let me know!! Thank you for the help and your input!!

a b G Storage
October 31, 2010 3:20:25 AM

Wow!

I like everything EXCEPT the Raid card. Why not use the ich10r onboard and 'soft' raid it?

Also, I don't see the need for the raptors. Ya, they are the thing but... Use one velociraptor or 2 wd blacks in raid 0. Raiding the velociraptors is overkill for your gaming/storage drives. You simply will not notice it as the SSD is doing all the important work. Also, you can put your favourite game or two on the SSD as well.

The nice thing about using only one raptor is that you can set your Mobo to ahci, use the intel rst driver during install, and Bob's your uncle. If you have a raid array you need to set the drives to Raid mode in your bios and piss around with getting trim to work, etc.

Nice rig!
October 31, 2010 9:33:32 PM

I understand what your saying and all but, I kinda fell in love with the idea of a RAID0 Array for my games, programs, and storage use. I have considered what you said for the 7.5k RPM platters ( I like the idea, as your right the 10kRPM in a RAID0 setup is a tad overdoing it and useless with the sataIII ) and I will do that.

Now here is the other thing about not having a raid card to set all this up. Is the on board raid utilities ( Being software not hardware) sufficient? Such as, this is an asumption, they are sataIII compatible, and I wont get bottlenecked with my speeds? Also, the TRIM that I will need. Is this compatible with this particular MOBO raid utility?
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 2, 2010 12:01:30 AM

Intel has come up with a TRIM driver that will work on your SSD as long as it is not part of the array (and it's not). You will have to set this up manually, however.

The 'onboard' software raid utility (ie intel matrix raid with ICH10r southbridge) is plenty fine. Just know that your array is no where near bulletproof and anything on it is potentially at risk. Use the RAID0 to do some heavy work and backup anything important immediately. The amount of processing necessary for your simple RAID is nothing on any modern system. Offloading this to a separate card is unnecessary.
November 2, 2010 12:49:28 AM

Best answer selected by JoshRS85.
!