Good modular PSU for ~$170?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I know most of the Tomshardware community resents modular PSU's, but it's just a matter of saving space inside the case because I find myself opening it an unusual amount, especially when it comes to cleaning it. Anyway, I have about $170 to spend[more or less] on a great modular PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

I don't know under what conditions CORSAIR tests their PSU's at, but this one has a 80+ GOLD sticker[hmm... marketing scheme maybe?] and yet it's modular. This is the best one I can find at that price range, can this support, lets say, dual gtx 285's? I just want some head room for the future, as of now I'm only running one hd 4850 lol... but yeah maybe down the road...

Anyway, are there better PSU's out there besides this one? In this price range of course.. max i'll spend is $180.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
yeah, i just bought a corsair for my bro, the 400watt one, and it seems like a high quality product... too soon to tell

you guys think ill be able to SLI gtx 285's? if not, what kind of cards would I be able to SLI that require high power? I know a 4870x2 needs ~ 650watts... and a gtx 295 is probably the same. i don't plan on tri/quad crossfire/sli simply because the scaling sucks.

and yeah a lot of people say modular is no good, the clips create added resistance, yada yada... that it's not really 90% efficient because of the clips... ya know

edit*
im also glad to hear that the 80+ is a standard.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I build computers for money and corsiar has been my PSU of choice for quality builds for the last 2 years. I own a modular my self and i have NO complaint about it.

For SLI gtx285 it would suffice but you are at borderline because of capacitor aging. The maximum power that that your system car draw at full load is arround 580 watts assuming you have a quad core processor at 3ghz. A 4870x2 needs about 600w (the other 100w are a safety quote)

Go for it. It is a great power supply