Really strange problem. I've never seen anything like it. Please help!

First things first I'm running XP, Asus mother board.

Ok so this is what happened. A power out caused my PC to turn off. When I booted it back up I was prompted to enter 'safe mode' or 'last know good config' etc. Sounds normal. So I tried 'last known good config'. The XP loading screen came up for a few seconds then it blue screened and automatically rebooted. Still sounds normal. I figured an important system file must have been corrupted or something along those lines.

Now this is where it gets a bit odd.

So in order to save some of my crap I pulled the hard drive out of my other working computer. Plugged it in (set it to boot from that hard drive) and booted up the computer. Yet again I was prompted with the choice of safe mode... etc. Which I thought was very strange seeing as its a completely different hard drive. I selected start windows normally and it did the same thing. Blue screened at the xp loading screen.

Next I unplugged the original hard drive so only the one from the other computer (the one that works) was plugged in. Started up the computer again. Same problem. I thought it could have been a problem with the mother board so i reset the bios. Tried again. Same thing.

I don't understand how this is possible. I'm yet to try the hard drive from the computer that doesn't work because the computer that DOES work doesn't have SATA plugs. But I can't see how it's the hard drive if i get the same problem when it's unplugged...

I really hope someone has encountered this before and can shed some light on the situation for me!

Thanks guys!

Just a couple of additional notes.
When I plugged the hard drive from the working computer back into it (the working computer) i was again prompted with safe mode... etc. but it worked.
Also it boots from cd no problem.
1 answer Last reply
More about really strange problem help
  1. The chance that an OS installed on one computer would work on another is minimal. Why not just boot the XP cd and choose "repair"?
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Hard Drives Windows XP Motherboards