Sign in with
Your question

3/4 monitor setup for trading, hd a/v, some gaming

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2009 1:54:55 PM

This is my first build in about 10 years. Have done a lot of research, and I think I have a good rig, but I wanted to ask this forum. While the GPU usage for my setup probably won't be that intensive (? besides the 3 or 4 monitors), the application requirements are surprisingly high from my experience. I know the i7 may be overkill, but I do want to future-proof it as much as possible. I'm looking to order everything in the next 5 days or so.

Key considerations:
- using it primarily for work at home in a professional trading environment - running bloomberg, 2-3 separate instances of excel (with multiple files open each), word, and a few other applications. these excel instances are running files receiving a significant amount of real-time data, so the network/data processing demands are high.
- using it secondarily for HD a/v processing (no blu-ray burner below, would rather wait until prices go lower, and burn to DVD for now) and some gaming. For the A/V - mostly kids videos nothing crazy. I've read that processing AVCHD requires significant CPU prowess, which is why I'm going i7 (but also to future proof).
- want this to be low-hassle as possible in terms of installation. This is the primary reason I picked the EVGA - I don't have the time to be on the phone with tech support for hours on end. Kinda thinking the MOBO is overkill here. Originally was thinking the Gigabyte UDR3, but budget is a secondary issue, so 'why not' if EVGA is going to be more hassle free and more future proof?
- Will try to overclock (though not to the extremes), will not SLI.
- Questions: for any of your business users - have you had any issues running 64-bit windows with 32-bit applications? or is just a driver issue?

CPU: Core i7 920
MOBO: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
Video: 4850 X2 1GB (4-DVI support - also about the same price as business-specific 4-head cards). Was thinking about getting 2 cheaper 2-head cards, but...
Mem: Crucial PC3-8500 triple channel memory 3GB (prob should go with 6gb?)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + Arctic Silver 5 thermal Compound
Power: Corsair 750
O/S: Windows 64-bit (more due to compatibility issues with many work apps)
HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB x3 in Raid 5
Monitors: Samsung 943 BM 19inch x3
Optical: LG 20x dvd burner SATA

Total price with 3 monitors and Windows 64-bit at $220 each- about $2400.

You guys are awesome - any critical feedback is much appreciated!
April 7, 2009 4:33:50 AM

This may be a bit late but i would refrain from 4850 X2 1GB..... XP will only see 256 bit of memory.
April 7, 2009 1:32:02 PM

Hmm - I already ordered the stuff. :p 

I was not aware of that, but since the 4850 x2 is basically two 256bit cards, wouldn't it be ok? Windows 64-bit XP also has that limitation? I do have the 30-day money back guarantee, so I could just get two lesser cards.

I also changed the MOBO to the P6T Deluxe V2 given the consistent recommendations for that board and its stability characteristics. Memory I went with 6gb of OCZ. Cooler I went with the Noctua.

I realized that its not optimal to install my OS on Raid 5, so I am just getting a 640gb caviar black for now. The rest of the drives will have to come later.

Hopefully I will have time to build it this long weekend, will update on how it goes...
Thanks!
!