Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID 0 2 drives, 1 data HDD, and 1 OS bootable SSD

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2010 2:04:22 AM

Hi,

I am trying to set up a dual boot computer. I want it to dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows server 2008. I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my SSD with a WD 1TB HDD for storage. I bought two new 500GB HDDs that I wanted to put in RAID 0 (for fun and experiance) that I plan on putting Windows Server 2008 on.

After I physically installed the 2 new WD 500GB HDDs I went into my BIOS and switched it from ACHI to RAID. I then entered the Intel Storage Matrix where I created a new RAID 0 leaving it with all the defaults. I did have to change the boot configuration again to show my SSD as the Primary and put it on the top of the boot order list.

Now when I start up my computer it blue screens on me for a milisecond and then restarts. It then shows that Windows didn't shut down right. I chose to repair, but windows is unable to repair. I even used system restore to see what happens and it gives me the same result.

When I go back into the BIOS and reset it from RAID to ACHI, and delete the RAID, it boots up fine. I can get disk management to show the new 500GB drives. If you have any idea on how I can accompolish my learning goals, I would greatly appreciate it.

KYLe

System: I7 920 2.8Ghz OCed to 3.2Ghz. 12GB memory, 1TB HDD, 2x 500GB HDD, 64GB SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Rampage III extreme, GTX-480.

Thank you for any help!!!

More about : raid drives data hdd bootable ssd

November 2, 2010 12:33:45 PM

any suggestions?
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:09:33 PM

essentially im unable to put the 2 500gb drives in raid 0 and boot to my ssd with ultimate on ot. i dont wanna start from scratch. i wanna leave my os on the ssd and install 2 new hdds in raid.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
November 2, 2010 1:23:04 PM

I think for this to work, 2 drives set up as Raid0 and an non-member SSD, you will need to reinstall windows on your SSD with the Bios set to raid and the SSD as a non member.

I've seen post where the SSD was installed with the Bios set to IDE and then switched to AHCI (Some registry edits, But Have not seen going from AHCI to Raid in Bios.
November 2, 2010 8:51:27 PM

RetiredChief said:
I think for this to work, 2 drives set up as Raid0 and an non-member SSD, you will need to reinstall windows on your SSD with the Bios set to raid and the SSD as a non member.

I've seen post where the SSD was installed with the Bios set to IDE and then switched to AHCI (Some registry edits, But Have not seen going from AHCI to Raid in Bios.

That is what I am starting to go with also. I wonder if I bought a raid controller outside the one within my MOBO? Oh well, I think I might suck it up and just reinstall windows again. Just to brag, it only takes 12 minutes to install on that SSD! but still UGH, it takes days to set it up like I like it.

Thanks Retired Chief,

KYLe IYAAYAS!

m
l
November 2, 2010 9:03:24 PM

Best answer selected by gonediscin.
m
l
!