Sign in with
Your question

Minor laptop cpu overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2010 4:06:43 PM

Here it is, I have a gx640 with the i5-450m processor. It is a bottleneck for my graphics card. I experience stuttor when playing starcraft 2, or Black Ops. My FPS were high so I was confused. Performance monitor shows both cores pegging out at 100 percent during game play. Its stock @ 2.40 ghz and I would like to try bumping it up to say 2.8 Just enough to leave some headroom to stop the stutter.

I ran prime at its stock specs and real temp showed the temp under full load at about 59 c. This was at an ambient room temp of around 78 F which is pretty much the temp my laptop will always be in give or take a few degree's.

I know the risks of Overclocking, and the importance of temps so I don't need to be reminded

My real question is since I can't over clock via my bios, which is the only way I know how to do, who can point me in the right direction for a software utility that will do what I need.

Like I said, just need a little bump to overcome this bottleneck, my only other option is a 300 dollar i7 upgrade that fits the laptops motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 9:25:18 AM

Not sure about on a laptop.. but you used to be able to overclock CPU from the NVIDIA control panel that came with nTune. I never really got along with it.. but if BIOS isn't an option maybe that's something to look into? I'm going back a year or two since I tried using nTune.. things might have changed by now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 9:26:03 AM

Ooh.. and do you have any options in the bios at all? Like any turbo or C1E settings? If so.. disable them if you're overclocking - but be warned this may increase temps.
m
l
!