Sign in with
Your question

Help me achieve first overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2010 5:39:16 PM

Alright Tom's, I built my first computer with the help of this forum and now I want to overclock it.

I've been reading a lot of threads on overclocking, but it is a lot of information to absorb. So I really hope someone has the wherewithal to simplify some things for me and set me straight.

First the system,

.-i7 875k intel processor
.-8gb 1600 gskill ram
.-asus maximus iii gene
.-thermalright ultra 120 heatsink +fan
.-4 case fans in a mini p180
.-gtx570
.-corsair 650 psu

So i don't want to set records. Right now it turbo's one core up to 3.6, 2 a bit lower, 3 a bit lower, etc.
I want one core somewhere near 3.8, and four at 3.6. Also, even though my memory is 1600, its at 1333 right now because i think that's what the 1156 platform natively supports.

The processor is unlocked so that I can see a turbomode n-core ratio offset. This guy in the youtube video does what I want to do. Bare with his voice or skip around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1n3eTl-0g
I realize i shouldn't just copy his settings though, as all processors are different. At 4:16 he shows the vcore and stuff.

So what I'm wondering is about the procedure.
1. Change the turbo multipliers
2. Raise vcore
3. Adjust Ram somehow????? Do I need to worry since its set much lower than 1600?
4. Boot, run prime95
5. lower vcore
6. boot, run prime95
7. repeat step 5 until bluescreen?

So as you can see, i'm still quite confused.

More about : achieve overclock

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 7:32:27 AM

If you're overclocking you want to disable all turbo type settings so they don't fluctuate and cause instability.

Also.. you don't want to raise your vcore first, and then drop it down bit by bit.. that's all backwards (and kinda' stupid). Instead you want to up your FSB or multiplier until you're unstable, and then INCREASE your vcore bit by bit until stable. Then you can push further and repeat this until you hit a speed where no amount of volts make it stable (or you're getting too hot). Dial it back to when it was last stable and there's your max overclock.
December 14, 2010 6:00:24 PM

put your multiplier at 24, disable eist (speedstep), c states (c1e support) and all other power saving stuff, leave everything on auto and then run prime 95 for 9 hours.

If it fails, boot back into bios (you may have to clear the cmos, in your mobo manual) and up the vcore SLIGHTLY maybe 1 or 2 notches, somewhere around 1.25-1.28 should be about right, and try and run prime 95 again.

Seeing as your overclock is very conservative this is what I would suggest, although if you decide later you want to up it more, than follow one of the guides here.
!