Recovering data from a PATA drive

goel0012

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
My wife's computer recently went kaput...it crashed and won't even try to boot now.
There are files on the PATA IDE drive that we want to recover, mainly photos.
I've hooked the drive into my computer and it gets recognized, but when I try to open the PATA, the computer will only allow me to format the drive.
I get an error that says "This drive is not formatted...format now...yes...no".

Why can't I just see the files and copy them?

Any ideas out there in Tom's World??

Solution
The bios should boot whatever drive you tell it to. It might try to boot the IDE drive, but you can go back in there and change it back to your normal drive. Depending on your board you might have only 1 IDE channel.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a single device on the IDE channel and its jumpered as a slave device, thats your problem. You have to have a master, then a slave. Make sure the drive is jumpered correctly, and plugged in. Only then can you rule out some sort of hooking up problem.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Try to put this PATA IDE to separate cable first then go to your BIOS make sure it gets detected. Their is a switch in your hard disk for IDE (master and slave) so connect it to a separate IDE cable and make sure it gets recognize with your BIOS first.

goel0012

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
The PC froze, no mouse, couldnt access task manager. Had to hard restart the PC. Nothing comes up on the screeen...remains black...gives no signal to the monitor. I can hear the HDD humming and all the fans run. I get no boot "beep" or other indications of the PC trying to boot :(

goel0012

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Is it ok to set the PATA as the primary master? Wont my PC try to boot from it?
Ill try to set it as the secondary master, will this allow me to access the files?

4745454b

Titan
The bios should boot whatever drive you tell it to. It might try to boot the IDE drive, but you can go back in there and change it back to your normal drive. Depending on your board you might have only 1 IDE channel.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a single device on the IDE channel and its jumpered as a slave device, thats your problem. You have to have a master, then a slave. Make sure the drive is jumpered correctly, and plugged in. Only then can you rule out some sort of hooking up problem.

Solution

goel0012

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I set the jumper to master, set a dedicated IDE cable, restarted my PC and viola!!!
Again, thank you, you helped recover 5 years worth of our family pics. I've already purchased an external HDD and will back them up ASAP.

Thanks to you and Tom's Hardware
goel0012 (Matt Goeltl in Stillwater, MN)