Should i get liquid cooling??

i'm good with computer so i think liquid cooling should be easy enough, but will it help me OC much more than air. if not, do you know any extremely good air coolers.

and which is better the
-NZXT phantom
or
-corsair obsidian 800D
for cooling + good mobo (needs usb 3.0 and sata 3)
i want 4GHz- 4.4GHz (depending on how lucky i am with the CPU i get) (i7 950)
10 answers Last reply
More about should liquid cooling
  1. What is your budget?

Are wanting to WC CPU only, or GPUs?

I've heard good things about the 800D, not as much about the Phantom.

How much have you read into watercooling?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercooling-read-first
    http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html
    http://skinneelabs.com/
  2. With the i7's, you should have no problem doing > 4 Ghz w/ plain ole air cooling. If it fails, it's generally not heat which is the limiting factor.
  3. ^Correct. Almost all overclocking failures are either due to user error (the vast majority) or hardware and config limitations. Very, very rarely is heat the issue.
  4. i was in the exact same situation with you a few months ago
    water cooling is almost always not the best option because of the risks and maintenance
    in the end, i remained on air and bought a new cooler, got my i7 920 at 4.2 Ghz no problems at all
    if you want a high end air cooler, here are some suggestions:
    promalitech megahalems
    noctua something 14 (DH-14 or something) - this things huge
    thermalright TRUE
    run any of these in push/pull and it'll get you to 4 Ghz no problems
  5. Watercooling only poses risks if you don't know what you are doing, don't do research, don't setup/install correctly or just use poor components.

Please use a little judgement before making a blanket statement such as this...especially when it's obvious you aren't familiar with what it entails.

The best option isn't always the same for everyone, so you really have no basis to say what is or isn't good for someone that isn't yourself...that's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Mercedes Benz because it isn't necessary, the maintenance costs too much and the car is priced higher than a 12 year old Honda Civic. If someone has the means, desire and ability, your opinion really doesn't matter.
  6. rubix_1011 said:
    Watercooling only poses risks if you don't know what you are doing, don't do research, don't setup/install correctly or just use poor components.

Please use a little judgement before making a blanket statement such as this...especially when it's obvious you aren't familiar with what it entails.

The best option isn't always the same for everyone, so you really have no basis to say what is or isn't good for someone that isn't yourself...that's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Mercedes Benz because it isn't necessary, the maintenance costs too much and the car is priced higher than a 12 year old Honda Civic. If someone has the means, desire and ability, your opinion really doesn't matter.

i don't want to start a flame war here but as you can see, the thread's topic is "should i get water cooling"
    i'm only giving my opinion to give an answer to the topic
    in fact, all answers are opinions, the answer that you just gave WAS in fact an opinion
    it's up to the guy asking the question to make his decision through the answers that he recieves
    i did do my research when i was thinking about water cooling and seeing that the setup i desired costed $300 and had the risk of leaking (as all watercooling setups do, no matter well put together or not), even if it was tiny, i decided to stick with air cooling
  7. ill just stick with high quality air. thanks!!
  8. Quote:
    i don't want to start a flame war here but as you can see, the thread's topic is "should i get water cooling"
    i'm only giving my opinion to give an answer to the topic

Quite true, I agree...didn't mean to come off as hostile in any way...sorry about that.
  9. oop sorry bout that i was just in a horrible mood last night
  10. Yeah, yesterday was a crap day at work, too. My apologies. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Water Cooling Overclocking Product