Should i get liquid cooling??

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i'm good with computer so i think liquid cooling should be easy enough, but will it help me OC much more than air. if not, do you know any extremely good air coolers.

and which is better the
-NZXT phantom
or
-corsair obsidian 800D
for cooling + good mobo (needs usb 3.0 and sata 3)
i want 4GHz- 4.4GHz (depending on how lucky i am with the CPU i get) (i7 950)

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
i was in the exact same situation with you a few months ago
water cooling is almost always not the best option because of the risks and maintenance
in the end, i remained on air and bought a new cooler, got my i7 920 at 4.2 Ghz no problems at all
if you want a high end air cooler, here are some suggestions:
promalitech megahalems
noctua something 14 (DH-14 or something) - this things huge
thermalright TRUE
run any of these in push/pull and it'll get you to 4 Ghz no problems

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Watercooling only poses risks if you don't know what you are doing, don't do research, don't setup/install correctly or just use poor components.

Please use a little judgement before making a blanket statement such as this...especially when it's obvious you aren't familiar with what it entails.

The best option isn't always the same for everyone, so you really have no basis to say what is or isn't good for someone that isn't yourself...that's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Mercedes Benz because it isn't necessary, the maintenance costs too much and the car is priced higher than a 12 year old Honda Civic. If someone has the means, desire and ability, your opinion really doesn't matter.

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

i don't want to start a flame war here but as you can see, the thread's topic is "should i get water cooling"
i'm only giving my opinion to give an answer to the topic
in fact, all answers are opinions, the answer that you just gave WAS in fact an opinion
it's up to the guy asking the question to make his decision through the answers that he recieves
i did do my research when i was thinking about water cooling and seeing that the setup i desired costed $300 and had the risk of leaking (as all watercooling setups do, no matter well put together or not), even if it was tiny, i decided to stick with air cooling