Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Driver for HD audio bus.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 4, 2011 12:28:02 AM

Info: Sound device is realtek high definition.
Installed driver is latest realtek driver 2.6.5.
OS: Windows xp pro.

Problem: In device manager is a yellow question mark. Driver is not
installed. Hardware device id is hd audio\func_01&VEN1002&DEV_AA01.
When turning on computer, system asks for a
driver search.

How to solve this?
Thank you.

Note: The soundcard seems to work ok.


More about : driver audio bus

a b \ Driver
September 4, 2011 1:26:23 AM

More info about computer needed!
a b \ Driver
September 4, 2011 7:00:18 AM

Does the picture below look familiar? The picture is recycled from another post, but might be what you are seeing in your system. Ignore all my writing in red.

If so, get your missing driver by clicking
HERE

Related resources
September 4, 2011 4:33:44 PM

tigsounds said:
Does the picture below look familiar? The picture is recycled from another post, but might be what you are seeing in your system. Ignore all my writing in red.

If so, get your missing driver by clicking
HERE

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/tigsounds/DEV_MGR.jpg


Thank you for answering.
The picture of the window you show, is exactly the window
I find in my device manager.
I have to ask you, whether you are an expert on this subject?
I found the driver you are stating myself.
But it's an old driver, so I didn't install it, because I don't
know, wheather it will replace the soundcard realtek driver
2.6.5 as a whole? Or is the driver you stated only for
dealing with the HD audio bus? That would mean, that
the realtek sounddevice needs 2 separate drivers of more than 150mb alltogether.
In short: So the driver from softpedia will not interfeer with
the realtek hd audio 2.6.5 driver?
What is the function of the HD audio bus?

I found a way, so the windows xp automatic new hardware
installationsguide doesn't start each time the computer is
turned on. So if the HD audio bus has no function, it's
not a major problem.


a b \ Driver
September 5, 2011 2:47:48 AM

okppko said:
Thank you for answering.
The picture of the window you show, is exactly the window
I find in my device manager.
I have to ask you, whether you are an expert on this subject?

Ummm... Here at Tom's I've reached the Silver Expert level and going for the Gold.
My formal education is in Computer Science and I do this forum at Tom's as a hobby and just to be of some help to someone that would enjoy their computer more if it worked properly.


I found the driver you are stating myself.
But it's an old driver,

It hasn't changed much over the years, nor is it expected to. If you read the 2 write-ups I supplied links to, you'll see why.

so I didn't install it, because I don't
know, wheather it will replace the soundcard realtek driver
2.6.5 as a whole? Or is the driver you stated only for
dealing with the HD audio bus? That would mean, that
the realtek sounddevice needs 2 separate drivers of more than 150mb alltogether.
In short: So the driver from softpedia will not interfeer with
the realtek hd audio 2.6.5 driver?

No. Your Realtek driver is safe.
If you update your XP to SP3 this driver will be installed for you automatically.


What is the function of the HD audio bus?

A decent write-up on it is HERE and HERE

I found a way, so the windows xp automatic new hardware
installationsguide doesn't start each time the computer is
turned on. So if the HD audio bus has no function, it's
not a major problem.


Your audio may work without it but it will work better with it. If you read from the links I put above, you may see why.
September 5, 2011 6:30:22 AM

tigsounds said:
Your audio may work without it but it will work better with it. If you read from the links I put above, you may see why.



Thank you for answering.
Your advice was to install realtek hd audio driver v. 2.6.2,
though the latest driver is v. 2.6.5.
Everyone would be reluctent.

Still I did this:
a uninstalled the current realtek hd audio driver. And the sound was gone.
b restarted the computer.
c installed the driver you stated.
d restarted the computer. The sound was back.

But the device manager still has an yellow question mark about the
'the sounddevice on HD audio bus'.
And the hardware id says: hd audio\func_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&
SUBSYS_00AA0100.
And it says 'no driver installed'.

So changing the driver didn't solve the problem.
If you have suggestions please answer.

The mainboard manufacturer has a sounddriver available for download.
I can try to install that one too.

Best solution

a b \ Driver
September 5, 2011 6:49:40 AM
Share

Download and install this 352K file, all problems go away.

Click
HERE

This being a "zip" file, you will need to unzip it to a folder. Go back to device manager, right-click the device, select to update driver, browse to un-zipped files and it will install.
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2011 7:10:06 AM

okppko said:
Thank you for answering.
Your advice was to install realtek hd audio driver v. 2.6.2,
though the latest driver is v. 2.6.5.
Everyone would be reluctent.

My red link was to Softpedia.com to get the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio.
I don't know where the "realtek hd audio driver v. 2.6.2" came from. :( 

When properly installed, you can see it in device manager under "System Devices"


<snip>
September 6, 2011 2:37:06 PM

Best answer selected by okppko.
a b \ Driver
September 6, 2011 5:03:43 PM

okppko said:
That solved it.
The question mark is gone, and the driver now shows under sound
device high definition audio bus.
Thank you.
Can you tell from where you got the file?
The link you stated, http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUND..., there
I couldn't find it.

I've had that file for a couple years and I don't know where I got it anymore... it's been a long time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Glad to see you're running properly now. Have more fun with your computer and Good Luck.
:) 
September 11, 2011 4:26:34 AM

tigsounds said:
I've had that file for a couple years and I don't know where I got it anymore... it's been a long time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Glad to see you're running properly now. Have more fun with your computer and Good Luck.
:) 


Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately I was to fast in answering.

After installing your driver,
I checked in the device manager, and the yellow question mark
was gone.
But so was the sound.
I answered before verifying, that sound actually came out of
the speakers.
The moment I disabled your driver in the device manager, the sound was
back.
So the driver didn't solve the problem.
a b \ Driver
September 11, 2011 4:03:11 PM



Sorry to see that....

Your speakers may not be set to work. Check this:

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices>Speaker Settings>Advanced>Speakers>Speaker Setup

Check there to verify the speakers are set to your actual configuration.

Then...

Program Files>Realtek>Audio>InstallShield

Launch the file RTHDCPL.exe. It will probable not actually run, but will set itself in the System tray. Double-click it's icon in the tray to activate it. Click the Audio tab and look at the top of the picture of the room. There is another place to set your actual configuration and it needs to match what you set in Control Panel above.

When they are set, try the sound again.





September 13, 2011 2:35:09 PM

tigsounds said:
Sorry to see that....

Your speakers may not be set to work. Check this:

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices>Speaker Settings>Advanced>Speakers>Speaker Setup

Check there to verify the speakers are set to your actual configuration.

Then...

Program Files>Realtek>Audio>InstallShield

Launch the file RTHDCPL.exe. It will probable not actually run, but will set itself in the System tray. Double-click it's icon in the tray to activate it. Click the Audio tab and look at the top of the picture of the room. There is another place to set your actual configuration and it needs to match what you set in Control Panel above.

When they are set, try the sound again.


This is rather complicated.
Thank you, now the question mark is gone in device manager,
and the driver is shown as 'ati function driver for high def audio
ati AA01' under sound.
And now the sound works. I tested it with youtube, kantaris player
and vlc player. Microsoft system sounds also work.

I did this:
checked speaker settings as you stated, was ok.
clicked 'rthdcpl' in programfiles. As you said, the computer did
something, but you couldn't see it.

But the sound still didn't work. That was strange, because if
I clicked the realtek icon in the taskbar, and ran 'realtek audio i/o'
and '3D audio demo' tests, the sound worked.
I then clicked the microsoft sound-icon in the taskbar, and under
'mastervolume' clicked settings and then clicked properties.
Then I changed the mixerunit from 'realtek HD audio rear output'
to 'realtek HD audio output'.
After restarting applications, the sound worked.

Now you tell me, what is best;' realtek HD audio rear output'
or 'realtek HD audio output'?
But stereo is working.
I can't hear any difference.

I think, I will write the mainboard manufacturer and ask why their driver
causes the question mark in the device manager.
a b \ Driver
September 13, 2011 3:20:28 PM

Quote:
Now you tell me, what is best;' realtek HD audio rear output'
or 'realtek HD audio output'?
But stereo is working.
I can't hear any difference.

Are you certain it shows ' realtek HD audio rear output'?
or is it 'ATI HD audio rear output'?... which uses the the video card as a sound card.
Best is 'Realtek HD audio output' . The 'ATI HD audio rear' output allows sound to be channeled through an ATI HD video card and output through the HDMI cable.


Quote:
I did this:
checked speaker settings as you stated, was ok.
clicked 'rthdcpl' in programfiles. As you said, the computer did
something, but you couldn't see it.
This launched the Realtek utility and it hid in the tray waiting to be clicked, and apparently, you clicked it. Just remember... Click the Audio tab and look at the top of the picture of the room. There is another place to set your actual configuration (speaker setup) and it needs to match what you set in the Windows Control Panel above.
September 13, 2011 4:46:05 PM

tigsounds said:
Quote:
Now you tell me, what is best;' realtek HD audio rear output'
or 'realtek HD audio output'?
But stereo is working.
I can't hear any difference.

Are you certain it shows ' realtek HD audio rear output'?
or is it 'ATI HD audio rear output'?... which uses the the video card as a sound card.
Best is 'Realtek HD audio output' . The 'ATI HD audio rear' output allows sound to be channeled through an ATI HD video card and output through the HDMI cable.


Quote:
I did this:
checked speaker settings as you stated, was ok.
clicked 'rthdcpl' in programfiles. As you said, the computer did
something, but you couldn't see it.
This launched the Realtek utility and it hid in the tray waiting to be clicked, and apparently, you clicked it. Just remember... Click the Audio tab and look at the top of the picture of the room. There is another place to set your actual configuration (speaker setup) and it needs to match what you set in the Windows Control Panel above.



You are right, by default, microsft sound-> settings-> properties
was 'ati hd audio rear output'. Changed it to 'realtek hd audio output'.

Realtek mixer audio i/o says 2 ch speaker.
Microsoft sound speaker setup says 'desktop stereospeakers'.
2 speakers are connected, so that should be ok.

a b \ Driver
September 13, 2011 5:46:10 PM

You're all set. :) 

No bothering the MB company, they won't listen. The problems with these HD boards is that some things are copyrighted and so aren't supplied with the board. It would be nice if the companies would print a single-page insert explaining what has to be done, downloaded, settings, and where to make those settings. Such is life, but then if everything came with good instructions, nobody would need.... me. :( 




Edit: One last thing... If you still have a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, it will probably be the SMBus driver needs to be installed too. If so, (I'll save you the time asking), it is in your chipset drivers, in it's own folder, and must be manually installed by the "Update Driver" method and "browse" to that folder to install it.
!