Best cpu

ctassios

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Hello there.i want to build a new desktop and i am a little bit confused about the cpu.i want to put in my desktop intel core i7-920 or intel core 2 quad q9550 but i cant deside with which one i will have the best performance.please help me choose...thank you.

The i7-920 will have better performance, and can overclock better if you want. The price delta of the whole system will be about $100 more than a comparable Qxxx system.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If you really want the best, it is the Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor or the Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor.

A i7-920 can drive ANY graphics configuration well. For a good gaming experience without breaking the bank, I would suggest a GTX275 or 4890 would be appropriate. More expensive cards or dual cards improve your gaming by smaller and smaller amounts, and may not be worth it to you if you have a budget.

That combo is very good for today. Be aware that new parts are due out, probably in time for Christmas that might change the selection. You should be able to buy a equivalent i5 cpu and a new vga card for less then(perhaps $100 less?). But, if you always wait for the next best thing or lowest prices, you will wait forever.

ctassios

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
hello again.i have checked the internet for desktop parts and i have made the following choices:

case-NZXT LEXA RedLine Edition Case (LEX-201)
power supply-PC Power & Cooling Silencer S75QB-EU Black PSU (750W)
cpu-intel core i7-920
cpu cooling-Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu Cooler (SCMG-2000)
motherboard-Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (s1366, DDR3, X58)
RAM-Corsair 3GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (3 x 1GB, PC3 12800, 9-9-9-24, TR3X3G1600C9)
graphics card-EVGA GTX 275 (896 MB, PCI Express) or the Sapphire 4890 SVGA (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1G)
hard drive-Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD (32MB Cache, Sata, WD10EADS)
optical drives-Samsung 223QRSMN DVD-RW (Sata, Lightscribe, Retail)

So tell me if everything is ok,i mean if motherboard fits with cpu kai the power supply is enough for the graphics card and all other parameters.if anything is wrong suggest me another one but also taking care of the prices.i want to know if the desktop will have a good perfomance in everything i don't want the perfect desktop but a desktop that it wont make me wait and it will can run most games.also i would like to know the ways that i can make the desktop more cooler from high temperatures and which parts do this???
thank you for yout time....

I very much like your list. The parts are compatible, and it is a balanced build.

Two suggestions:
1) Consider the WD caviar black 1tb drive instead. It will perform better. The WD green does not always run at full speed to save energy.
2) Almost any oem cpu cooler will be better than the intel stock cooler. I do not know where the scythe mugen cooler falls in effectiveness rating, or price, but read this article which compares many of the top coolers:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62

Is that 4 front usb ports that you want?
Is there a particular reason?
Most cases will have two in front, and room for all that you want in back.
Would a simple 4 port usb extension hub suffice? It might increase your chances of finding a good case.
Do you want quiet? room? Bling? cooling? portability?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-i7-975 is much more powerful then a qx9775

ctassios

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
i want to have 4 usb ports because my mouse and keyboard uses usb and then because i have wireless internet i think that i am going to need more.so you tell me that the most cases have 2 usb ports in front and another two on their back???the case NZXT LEXA RedLine Edition Case (LEX-201) has two usb ports in front and another two in back???

Every modern motherboard will have 6 or more usb connectors in the back. Every case that can mount that motherboard will handle as many usb or other ports that are on the back panel of the motherboard. The usual reason for front usb ports is to be able to conveniently plug & remove a usb thumb drive, camera, or a usb backup external drive.

ctassios

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
hello there. i would like to have your opinion between two processors the intel core i7-920 and amd Phenom II X4 955.i know that clock speed is much more than the intel
but i can't understand the price difference?both have 4 cores the intel has 2.66Ghz and the amd has 3.2GHz and the price difference is big.why is that?is the amd Phenom II X4 955 inferior to intel core i7-920?

ctassios

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
another question about processor..you told me that between intel core i7-920 and intel core 2 quad 9550 you prefer i7-920 and now between i7 and 9650 which one?