Should I buy i7 920 new for $199 right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_mon1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
It's on sale for $199 at my local Micro Center. Should I get it for my build that I'm making in around 4 months?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well, that all depends... in 4 months chances are i5s would be out and they are a definite cheaper solution if you you take into consideration of the mobo and all that

while on the other hand, if you want the best of the best and is worried about them discontinue the 920 on the lga 1366 then maybe...

also, if they are C0 over stock i think they may not be a good buy if you plan to over clock, since the D0 owns them hands down with overclocking.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
the i7 920 is a classic chip. maybe Intel will have something comparable in the i5 line.

makes me wonder if they're discontinuing the 920 because it's cannibalizing 940/950 & 965 sales. since it OC's so well.

d_mon1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

How can I tell if this i7 is C0 or D0?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I LOVE my 920, seriosuly the best CPU I've ever owned. Just feels solid and fast. Also my first 64 bit experience. Can't wait to run Win7 on my system this fall, should be even faster (no, I don't run beta software on my production workstation).

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

have to call them up (or go there and look at it ur self if you can) and see which stepping is printed on the side:

SLBEJ = D0 (good overclocker 3.8-4.0 w TRUE 3.6-3.8 with stock)
SLBCH = C0 (okay ocer 3.6-3.8 w TRUE 3.4-3.6 with stock)

but bear in mind that you may get a dud D0 or C0 and not get any good overclock at all

and yes, intel wants ppl to spend 500++ for their top of the line procs, and these 200-300 dollar chips that can oc to the sky is hurting them in the pockets when they try to milk it

also, know that the platform cost of i7 is quite high, and that a cheap proc may not mean a cheap system, there are some cheaper mobos out there now, but the platform cost of a LGA 1366 system is still higher even if i7 can dominate PhII X4s.

d_mon1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Ah, never mind, I think I'm going to wait for the i5. Hopefully it won't be too pricey when it's released.

And I hope that by then the new graphic cards will be out so the current ones drop in price. After all, I'm just

planning on playing Modern Warfare 2 when it comes out and the i5 should be enough to handle this game.

What do you guys say? Good idea to wait or not?

I will give you the best advice possible about these kind of situation.

The simple answer is no.

If you are going to wait 4 months, the price will surely drop even below this. That's the computer business reality, today prices are likely to be higher than the ones in the near future.

Just look at what happens with the 4850 price... they have been cut by 50% in the last month.

No, if you plan to build your system in 4 months, buy your stuff in 4 months. Also, never wait for new techs to be released while building your rig, buy what is available when you buy. I am speaking from personal experiences.

d_mon1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I'll keep saving money until the four months are up and buy everything at once. I just thought I could jump in and buy it while it's 200 dollars and before it's discontinued.

But like I said, I can build an i5 PC since gaming will be the main purpose for this build.

peanutpc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
i bought 5 x 920 in micro center and they're all C0 stepping. i looked for EJ but no luck in micro center. but @ $200, i'm not complaining...

wannabe

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Intel says they are discontinuing the i7-920. When production stops, existing stock IMO, will increase in price.
I say if you want the 1366 platform and you have the $200.00 get it now.
The 1366 platform is not going to fade away in the near future. Intel has earmarked it for the higher end chips and for future chips to come, like 6core and 8core, maybe.
i5 chips will also be dual-channel for the RAM vs tri-channel for the i7's.

So whats all this mean...? I'll leave that up to someone with a higher "Badge" than I have.
I'm just a Wannabe!

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i think the market is in a bag of hurt, and prices have dropped accordingly. when you go from a strong market, to a hurt market, you end up with a large surplus of whatever you were selling. which, DOES need to be unloaded quickly (at discount) because this creates a supply and demand that, well, isnt going to be making to premium dollar. when youve sold your surplus (and slowed your manufacturing) supply dwindles away and demand raises again.

i dont think you will ever see a quality quadcore+ for 200 dollars again, in your whole life.

granted, 6 cores is around the corner, but considering i can barely find any software to take advantage of more than 2 cores, im really not too concerned with having more than 4.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
IF you were building today, then $199 is a steal. Compare this with the Egg's price...
Microcenter has been selling the 920 for $229 for a long time now, hoping customers will also buy the rest of the parts from them at less of a deal. Timing is important. Four months from now the cpu and system world will be different. I say get what you want all at once. Now or later. Warranties, RMA's and returns are a hassle if you wait and build up parts waiting to put them together. If you're serious about a system 4 months from now, then wait until then to buy the parts.

and yes, intel wants ppl to spend 500++ for their top of the line procs, and these 200-300 dollar chips that can oc to the sky is hurting them in the pockets when they try to milk it

It's not hurting them, cause all those people who bought i7's got suckered into the X58, which is where Intel really made the money. I'm waiting for P55 and i5 w/ddr 1333 support. After the P55 is out for a couple months I expect the price to be around $140ish.

Actually you can get a full-featured X58 mobo for $170 from ASROCK. 6 DIMM slots & 3 PCIe x16 slots... Coupled with a $200 i920, seems pretty decent for the $$.

Yeah I agree, except that eventually Microcenter is gonna run out of those C0 steppings :). The one closest to me, in northern Virginia, had 237 i920's in stock last weekend when I checked - down to 183 today. I figure when I come back from vacation the end of this month, they should have a new shipment in stock, and my chances of getting a D0 much better.

I just wonder if they'll continue the $199 'sales' price with the D0's.

It looks like Intel will release i7s on the LGA1156 platform, which is probably why they are stopping production of the 920. If you want a 920, get it now. You can wait for an i5 if you want, but considering the expected prices of LGA 1156 CPUs and the excellent overclockability of the 920, you should just get the 920.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Shut it noob. You obviously know nothing. C0 will EASILY go over 4Ghz. Sick of you idiots saying a C0 won't overclock at all

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/2MCHBoost/42ghz-1.jpg

lol, looking at cpuz's little database, D0 constantly out ocs the C0, and if you got 4 Ghz good for you, there are ppl running on air with a 5 Ghz D0, and that is really an accomplishment.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100738237&mpage=1&key=

and to the ppl whom quote amd stuff in response to him, don't step down to their non sense and bs, and use actual intel cases to make him realize his 4 Ghz OC is great, but not indicative of C0 as a whole. Tbh, if I wanted to do that, I'd quote TWKR's OCing stats roflmao.

Yeah and i7 was released like 6 months ago. lol. I'm talking about all the suckers that paid $250 and $300 for a mobo.

And the only way to get a i7 for $200 is if you live near a Microcenter and they are running a special. Newegg has P2 940's WITH a 790GX mobo for $189, now thats a good deal.

wish I would have waited just a slight bit... I went for my Evga and 920 because of the rumors of it being discontinued and I wanted to jump on true Dx 10 when it comes out with a CF or Sli (depends on who wins the next round) setup and it's not here yet... that and no time during school to build, oc , and test a pc lol.

EDIT:

am i seeing ghosts with ppl replying to PSD with amd ocs??

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
it all depends on what you want from the setup, i mean if you want, pick up an Asrock M3A790GXH/128M, pick up a nice stepping of the PhII X2 550 BE (stepping 0922APMW or 0919EPMW are having some nice success with the 0922 having 100% from Extreme systems) and unlock them into quad cores and stick some dual channel DDR3 sets in. Gfx isn't even needed since the board has onboard roflmao.

that would cost FAR below an i7 setup, but it would also mean with the asrock say bye bye to CF (you can get mobo that unlock and have CF that is more expensive and feature rich) and with unlocking no SLI at all since you need an AMD chipset to unlock it.

Component cost (In CAD, not USD ppl):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157152 (130 CAD)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680&Tpk=X2%20550%20BE (123 CAD) (but please e get it either at local or somewhere that allows you to actually get the stepping information, as stepping like 0920GPMW is not unlockable with any mobo while others are having 100% rate)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227448 (90 CAD) (4 gb DDR3 AMD specific OCZ kit, I honestly don't know their difference with other DDR3 DC or TC kits other than ofc they are tested...)

total = 343 CAD or for US ppl 300 USDish (Google translated, not gona go to newegg.com and find it all again...)

and that is FAR below the 300+350+150 I've paid for my cpu+mobo+ram for an i7 system

d_mon1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

Why's that? Can you elaborate?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I think he means that ppl will scream about their performance vs amd? or because the prices of those parts are HUGE and ppl will have issues with envy?

that or he is attempting to troll with flamewar about amd vs intel?

not sure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.