Hyper 212+ worth it in this retrofit?

deltadevil

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hiyo, I've done a retrofit on a computer to make it gaming capable, but unfortunately originally it was meant for basic usage! Basically I just threw in a GPU, thankfully the parts I bought have some breathing room for upgrades!

CPU: Athlon x2 245, OC to 3.35ghz 24/7 on stock HSF.
Mobo: Asus M4A88t-M/USB3 Matx
Ram: 2x2gb DDR3-1333 OCZ gold
PSU: EA-380 green, 80 plus bronze, 17a/15a on 12v
Case/fans: CM 341 Matx. Two 120mm 44CFM fans, front intake yate loon, rear exhaust cooler master. Two 120mm fans mountable on side.
GPU: Evga GTS450

I love Source games, Civ5, and starcraft 2 more then anything, and all of these love eating up my CPU! Do you think it would be worth it to buy a Hyper 212+ for $23, and overclock some more given my current system + games?

Edit: Forgive me if this post should go in systems, I'm taking a guess here.

Solution
It can never hurt to help cool your CPU. Heat is their enemy.
So, yes I think it would be worth it. Plus, that heatsink can be used on any AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPU in the future. If the fan goes bad, it can be easily replaced.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
It can never hurt to help cool your CPU. Heat is their enemy.
So, yes I think it would be worth it. Plus, that heatsink can be used on any AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPU in the future. If the fan goes bad, it can be easily replaced.

Solution
I would say to pick it up also. With better cooling you may be able to get to an OC of 3.5GHz / 3.6 GHz. Also, you have a good AM3 board which can accept a processor upgrade down the road when you are ready. The Hyper 212+ will do you well now AND with that future processor (overclocked or not).

deltadevil

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just looking to see if I was doing anything too odd. Most of the reason I was thinking of buying one was because it could be easily reused actually.

deltadevil

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Bumping this up to share my results, I got my OC to 3.77ghz on my first try and it's survived stress testing for three hours so far. I'm so happy you guys T_T. Thank you, I'm so proud of my hyper 212+, although it unexpectedly blocks BOTH my side vents (wanted the bottom intake for the GPU, bah!).

The CPU? 27 degrees celcius while running orthos @ 1.5v. That's... a lot lower then I expected o_O. I am impressed by this gigantic cooler of awesome, I bought two fans in addition so I have six (1 intake, 3 exhaust (PSU, GPU, Case), 2 CPU which probably helps :).