gmatt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 630, with a NVIDIA® nForce 650i SLI motherboard. From the specs I have found online, it looks like the motherboard only supports up to 800MHZ timings (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-nvidia,1385-8.html) is there a way to install faster ram (like 1200mhz or something) or would that require a different motherboard?

Solution
Most MBs have a fairly low speed limit on the memory timings...where the faster memory comes into play is in overclocking. In order to get higher a higher speed than the standard MB speeds you will have to overclock and use a memory that is rated for the higher speeds. Dell locks down the bios pretty hard, so you are probably out of luck. And you need to keep in mind that test after test show memory speed makes very little difference in overall system performance.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Most MBs have a fairly low speed limit on the memory timings...where the faster memory comes into play is in overclocking. In order to get higher a higher speed than the standard MB speeds you will have to overclock and use a memory that is rated for the higher speeds. Dell locks down the bios pretty hard, so you are probably out of luck. And you need to keep in mind that test after test show memory speed makes very little difference in overall system performance.

Solution