vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Guys,

Could you please help me with this question that is bugging me a lot...

I'm planning to upgrade my computer and everything seems to be already defined, except for the video cards.

Upgraded system will be an I7 920, 12gb Ram, 6 HDs, Corsair 1000HX PSU, X-Fi Titanium and all the other basic stuff. (using parts that I already have plus some that I'll buy).

Right now I'm running a pair of 8800GT SLI in a 24" monitor 1900x1200 and a 19" 1280x1024, playing games like Crysis, Fear 2, Fallout3, GTAIV, World in Conflict and others...

Also I do a lot of video encoding, media server, background downloads, photos, backup, web surfing, etc... almost all at the same time.

Now the question is:

Should I:

- Buy a pair of GTX 260 216SP and SLI it, keeping one 8800GT for Physx only,

- Buy one GTX 285 (or the 275), keep the 8800GT for Physx and wait many months to SLI the GTX 285,

- Keep the 8800GT SLI in the upgraded system and wait for something else better to come up later this year,

- Give up on Nvidia/Physx and go with an ATI setup...

I would like to have a computer that would play games at 1900x1200 (not planning to change the monitor in years...), with or without AA (I don't care that much about AA, as long I have all the details/special effects enabled) and 30+/60+ FPS (depending on the game, of course) for, at least, a couple of years...

My budget for the VCards is about 340ish USD.

Thanks!

vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Currently is working fine. I have played all the games that I wanted at very good settings. The reason that I'm upgrading is because I started to do a lot of video encoding and my dual-core is sweating hard... (E8400 OCed 3.6).

Given that, I want to upgrade to a quad core, upgrade my case to a Cosmos S (I fell in love after I saw one in real life) and I was thinking if it would be a good time to upgrade the Vcards as well and do the whole work one time only...

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far!

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Wait for something better to come out. Wait for Direct X 11 supporting card. I fell in love with Coolermaster HAF 932 I saw cosmos in the shop it seemed too big.