Primary hard drive not showing in disk management

mactoshb

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
:sleep: Slightly different to the thread I was reading about second hard drive not seen by windows
My problem is that my PRIMARY drive is working fine, W7 up and running and it shows in "My computer" but it does not show in "Disk Management" according to it I only have my second drive which only has storage on it, but desktop runs normally despite the boot disk (C) with W7 on it not being seen in Disk manager or for that matter Device Manager.
I only noticed because despite having no problems getting on-line, Windows Update, which has never failed, fails every time with error code 80072EFE
and having checked firewalls etc I found disk 0 was not being seen, just disk 1 which is the second H/D
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks, Boyd

drevin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Although I'm using Windows XP, I had a very similar problem and was able to solve it. Primary HDD did not show up in Disk Management or Device Manager but worked normally and was in My Computer. Windows Update did not work.

It was caused by malware, more specifically the TDSS rootkit. You should try the TDSSKiller tool and see if it finds anything. You should tick both "Services and Drives" and "Boot sectors". In my case, the Master Boot Record was infected. You can find the tool here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Please be extra careful in using anti virus tools, back up first before you do it.

You can download an update of your anti virus software if it will support an offline update. Or you can download microsoft security update from another computer and apply the updates to your unit, also download a microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and run it on your computer.

mactoshb

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Hi, I downloaded Microsofts Tool as above and ran it, It detected and removed one file(Took note but forgot to save) anyway after running tool, I checked and my Primary was visible in disk management and I then tried windows update, It started and said 24 uodates available. At that point the computer restarted, I assume that was done by the toolkit and I was not expecting it, which is why I lost the name of the file
Anyway after restarting, guess what? the hard drive had disappeared again. So I concluded it probably gets reinstalled on the restart.
I then carried on with what Drevin suggested (TDSSKiller) and it seems to have done the trick, have restarted umpteem times and also done updates and seems to be holding, I now have 2 hard drives and all the programs that would not run, now are
So, thanks for your help

mactoshb

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Hi, after trying MS malicious Software removal tool, (Which seemed to have worked till a restart) I used the TDSSToolkit and it seems to have worked. have restarted several times and done the updates and I still Have my hard drive and everything seems to be running as it should
So, thanks for your help, I doubt I would have got to a solution so quickly otherwise
Thanks, Boyd